What would you like to see on the forum?

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: What would you like to see on the forum?

Postby Stuart_Bates » 25 Dec 2011 07:20

Stuart_Bates wrote:Mark,

is it possible to put a post number e.g. #21 within each post? This would enable us to easily refer to a particular post within the topic.

Stuart

Mark,

any progress on this post #? :D

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 25 Dec 2011 13:10

Hi Stuart

Sorry this was looked into and I should have updated you all. There is at present no official modification for the type of forum software we use to do this. Most forum software developers are now apparently using the quotes option to address this issue so it looks like this is the way things are heading. If anything changes I will of course let you all know.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 15 Jan 2012 10:36

Hello Mark

I would like to see all adverts for books like this recent post http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6512 accompanied by a link to a review (or reviews) from a third party that has been published (internet included).

This may delay the posting of such an advert from the time the book is published but I think this suggestion will enable potential purchasers to be better informed.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 15 Jan 2012 18:48

SWB wrote:Hello Mark

I would like to see all adverts for books like this recent post http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6512 accompanied by a link to a review (or reviews) from a third party that has been published (internet included).

This may delay the posting of such an advert from the time the book is published but I think this suggestion will enable potential purchasers to be better informed.

Regards
Meurig

Hi Meurig

A third party review would indeed be useful and offer an unbiased view of the publication. I would be happy to include this if such a third party review is available.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 15 Jan 2012 19:17

Thanks Mark - I think the person who posts a book advert should supply that as a Forum rule - after all there is no such thing as free lunch!
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 15 Jan 2012 19:27

SWB wrote:Thanks Mark - I think the person who posts a book advert should supply that as a Forum rule - after all there is no such thing as free lunch!

We are always happy to review forum rules so will debate it with the forum staff.

I guess it is striking the balance between remaining a non-commercial site and providing members with information on books of interest.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Maureene » 16 Jan 2012 06:01

Mark wrote:I guess it is striking the balance between remaining a non-commercial site and providing members with information on books of interest.

I go for the view that the role of this Forum is to provide information. I therefore think it is too restrictive for there to be a requirement that a review by a third party must be attached to the post regarding a new book.Certainly, if one is available it can be included. But different people seek different things from books, and I think it is up to each individual to make a decision based on what is posted to the Forum. Perhaps the topic covered by the book interests a person and they will go ahead and buy a copy without a review, and find just the bit of information they are looking for. However, if they don’t know the book is available, they can’t make this decision. But if another person feels the information available is insufficient, they can just ignore the post.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby SWB » 16 Jan 2012 07:24

Hello Maureen

I agree with much of what you say - but in the field of military history and with self-publishing there are a number of badly written books out there. It is all too easy for a publisher to write attractive jacket blurb.

While new book notices are useful, I admire other non-forums' (fairly) strict non-commercial activity rules (i.e. no advertising). If a publisher really thought their book was any good why not go for paid for advertising? Yes, the margins are thin but if your book is good then put your money your mouth (or pen?) is.

I would like to see some balance in favour of the purchaser.

Regards
Meurig
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 16 Jan 2012 21:34

I tend to agree with Meurig and my experience with two books tells me that it is not that difficult for a self-publishing author to have their work reviewed. For example, my Wolseley book was reviewed in America, Canada, England as well as Australia.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 17 Jan 2012 00:17

Perhaps a self-publishing author could lend a copy of the book to an appropriate and willing forum member who in return would agree to write an honest review?

Not me though - I already have a huge pile of books stacked up ranging from the Napoleonic Wars to the First World War! :shock:

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 17 Jan 2012 09:08

Perhaps a self-publishing author could lend a copy of the book to an appropriate and willing forum member who in return would agree to write an honest review?

Indeed!

Any good (self)-publishing house should get reveiws for their book. Let's see if any recent (self)-publishers bite.

Regards
Meurig
SWB
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Feedback & Suggestions