VWF Book Club?

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: VWF Book Club?

Postby SWB » 16 Dec 2009 23:50

I have recently put a couple of reviews in the Reference Books & Other Materials thread. Can I suggest Mike's review of the Canadian Scouts is moved there?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Jonathan » 17 Dec 2009 14:45

Meurig,
I appreciate your reviews! I will move QSAMik'es review to that section of the forum.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby roconn » 17 Dec 2009 19:13

As a really new member to this site - the notion of a VWF Book Club is enticing as in the past I've purchased book without other's reviews and a sad but true tale that some authors should ever have put pen to paper --- the good ones are still on my bookshelves and are refernced time and again -- the factually poor ones get rendered to the annual Used Book & Jumble Sale. Its not a question of being to afford a well written or researched book either recent or older but a Book Club might certainly assist in the selection.

Cheers from -31C Ontario

Pat
roconn
Participating Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 17 Dec 2009 22:07

Some of the best books I have read are the books printed at the time of the conflict or soon after. Reading 1st hand accounts and getting an idea of how they viewed it at the time. Also details described are not in any modern writings. Such as a particular officer being killed or wounded maybe by a cannon ball removing his head, or that there was a body every 6' in any direction, this gives you a better feel of the moment. I can list some books but they are long out of print, but can be found at militaria fairs or most likely abebooks. I have noticed the prices creeping up, so I'll hold on to mine for now. If anyone has old books with Canadian military content I would be interested.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 02 May 2010 12:29

Since there appears to be only very lmited interest in the VWF Book Club idea I am downgrading this thread from an announcement to a normal post. However, I do not wish to let the idea die (afterall it is a good one) so if any members wish to take this project up or get involved in anyway please do bring it back to the attention of the forum staff.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jersey » 02 May 2010 22:12

My main downside to this suggestion is that we are a world wide forum and I think that a specific book may not be available to all members and
certainly in the same time frame. I still like the idea of having a books read section where members can read the critiques and decide for themselves
whether they wish to read a particular book. Further not all members have the same interests or are researching the same time frame.
There will be other comments coming IDC but first to breakfast.
Cheers David
jersey

Postby Nikal Seyn » 21 Aug 2012 08:59

It's an interesting concept but can I make a suggestion?

As times are a bit financially tough at the moment how about reviewing and discussing titles that are available through Amazon's marketplace of 2nd hand titles at at the princely sum of 1p plus p+p and upwards ?

In doing this we could encourage as many people as possible to take part. Obviously this will entail discussing the more popular works of history which are more widely read and available but it's a start.

Just thinking out loud.
"The punishment of Mutiny is Death" John Nicholson 1857.
Nikal Seyn

Postby Mark » 21 Aug 2012 10:50

Nikal Seyn wrote:It's an interesting concept but can I make a suggestion?

As times are a bit financially tough at the moment how about reviewing and discussing titles that are available through Amazon's marketplace of 2nd hand titles at at the princely sum of 1p plus p+p and upwards ?

In doing this we could encourage as many people as possible to take part. Obviously this will entail discussing the more popular works of history which are more widely read and available but it's a start.

Just thinking out loud.

Hi Jonathan

I am open to any ideas and suggestions. What do others think?

It would be great to try and re-kindle this book club idea.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy Lonergan » 21 Aug 2012 19:45

Perhaps people could suggest some titles and then a poll could be taken (can we do polls on the forum?) and then people could evaluate the cost implication as they vote. I certainly would be interested in a book club discussion but as mentioned cost is important as my main area is WW1 and thus books owned is for this era. I have some relevant books but not from a wide spectrum.

Of course I would be more than willing :D to discuss George MacDonald Fraser's contribution to Victorian history via Flashy and have all the books from his 'memoirs'. I happen to consider these books actually good history in a twisted way.

Rgds

Andy
Andy Lonergan

Postby Nikal Seyn » 21 Aug 2012 20:56

Just been taking a look around and this is the sort of thing I mean. On topic, copies for all and cheap to secure one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used
Nikal Seyn

Postby L. Braden » 21 Aug 2012 21:31

Why do we have to promote AMAZON? :x There are other sources. (And don't tell me that's because most book-buyers have an Amazon account!)
L. Braden

Postby Nikal Seyn » 21 Aug 2012 21:41

L. Braden wrote:Why do we have to promote AMAZON? :x There are other sources. (And don't tell me that's because most book-buyers have an Amazon account!)

Because the Amazon marketplace is used by second hand book dealers. Use ABE for all I care or even go and support your local library service in borrowing whichever book is chosen. I'm sorry if it's an issue for you and by all means link to other sites.
Nikal Seyn

Postby L. Braden » 21 Aug 2012 21:47

Thank you.
L. Braden

Postby QSAMIKE » 21 Aug 2012 22:17

Knowing No Fear the History of the Canadian Scouts in South Africa, 1900-1902, (The Boer War).

"The Scouts regarded themselves as fighters not "tin soldiers".

Author: Jim Wallace with Capt. Mike Dorosz
I.S.B.N. 978-1-4251-4392-3
Soft Cover
Published: August 1st 2008
Pages: 244
Illustrations and Maps: 50
Appendixes: Five

The Canadian Scouts represent a unique period in British military history when irregular units were recruited to augment the regular forces available for the campaign in South Africa. Many of the irregular units were largely made up of "Colonials" from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Cape Colony, providing an opportunity for the so-called "Colonials" do demonstrate their prowess in guerilla warfare in which they were often deployed as scouts.

This book is the definitive history of the 1003 men who served in the Canadian Scouts from their formation to their disbandment. The youngest members of the scouts were Sergeant Walter Bapty and Trooper Stanley Rankin, both who were 16 when they enlisted to the Commanding Officer Major Howard at 55. Table One lists all the 16 countries represented and quantifies that were represented in the Scouts. There is a full casualty list, listing of the Coronation Contingent, Honours and Awards, and of course a Nominal and Medal Roll.

SOME FAMOUS MEMBERS OF CANADIAN SCOUTS WHO WENT ON TO GREATER THINGS:

1) Captain H. Trenchard became Marshal of the Royal Air Force (RAF) Sir Hugh Trenchard, 1st Viscount Trenchard GCB, GCMG, GCVO.
2) Capt. J. R. Longley became Major-General Sir John Raynsford Longley, KCMG, CB.
3) Private E. Hilliman, 17th Lancers, Constable North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.), Corporal C.M.R., Captain Canadian Scouts, retired as Brigadier General Edward Hilliam CMG, CB, DSO and Bar, MiD x 6, Legion of Honour and Croix de Guerre.
4) One member rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the Canadian Mounted Rifles in WW1 was court martialed due to problems with alcohol, re-enlisted under an assumed name as a private in the R.C.A. rose to rank of Battery Sergeant Major and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal (MM).

The Medal Roll consist of the following information:

A) Name
B) Rank
C) Regimental Number (s)
D) Nationality (When Known)
E) Enlistment Date and Discharge Date
F) Other units in which the individual served.
G) Medals and Clasps (for service with the Canadian Scouts)
H) Additional Information ( Awards, Wounds, Death, Coronation etc.)

e.g.: DIGGER, Albert, Cpl / 32323 / AUS / 23 Jan., 01 - May 02 / QIB - KFS / QSA - CC, OFS, TVL, 01, 02 / Cor.

This shows that 32323 Corporal Albert Digger, an Australian, served in the Canadian Scouts from January 23rd, 1901 to May 1902. He also served in the Queensland Imperial Bushmen and Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts. He was entitled to the Queen’s South Africa Medal with bars Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. He was also a member of the Coronation Contingent.

P.S. I have a few copies left.....

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 21 Aug 2012 22:25

I think the idea (although now an old one) is a good one. Why not go for a copyright free title (i.e., contemporary 19th century)?

Sources from the time will:
i) Be free
ii) Generate healthy debate, as we know things now they did not then, and they knew things then we do not now know!
iii) Might actually be fun to read and discuss

For my tuppence, I'd suggest 'Mr Thomas Atkins' by the Rev. E.J. Hardy. Published in 1900, it is a book by a chaplain about the lives of enlisted men. It contains some academic gems - it was this book that put me onto the fact that corporal punishment was not abolished in the army in 1881 (remember that thread anyone?), and inspired further research into that. It is mostly social history, but it is contemporary to the Boer War, Boxer Rebellion, and NWF... People interested in the army at that time will certainly take something from it.

Best of all it can be got legally here for free: http://archive.org/details/cihm_05361.

Of course, I'm up for it if someone comes up with something better!

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Suggestions