VWF Book Club?

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: VWF Book Club?

Postby Nikal Seyn » 21 Aug 2012 23:16

zerostate wrote:I think the idea (although now an old one) is a good one. Why not go for a copyright free title (i.e., contemporary 19th century)?

Sources from the time will:
i) Be free
ii) Generate healthy debate, as we know things now they did not then, and they knew things then we do not now know!
iii) Might actually be fun to read and discuss

For my tuppence, I'd suggest 'Mr Thomas Atkins' by the Rev. E.J. Hardy. Published in 1900, it is a book by a chaplain about the lives of enlisted men. It contains some academic gems - it was this book that put me onto the fact that corporal punishment was not abolished in the army in 1881 (remember that thread anyone?), and inspired further research into that. It is mostly social history, but it is contemporary to the Boer War, Boxer Rebellion, and NWF... People interested in the army at that time will certainly take something from it.

Best of all it can be got legally here for free: http://archive.org/details/cihm_05361.

Of course, I'm up for it if someone comes up with something better!

Chris

That's a brilliant idea BUT I'm a bit of a luddite and still prefer a book and I don't have a Kindle*. Not sure I would want to sit at the computer for an evening reading it that way. Still, I do like the concept very much.

* other non-Amazon related book readers are available ;)
"The punishment of Mutiny is Death" John Nicholson 1857.
Nikal Seyn

Postby Nikal Seyn » 27 Aug 2012 23:40

So do we have any nominations for a first title to be read and discussed?
Nikal Seyn

Postby zerostate » 03 Sep 2012 10:40

Since it came up recently in a thread, how about Through the Ranks to a Commission, by John Edward Akland-Troyte?

It can be obtained as an actual book - a print on demand version is available from Amazon and elsewhere, can be got as a pdf, and can be read online here: http://archive.org/stream/throughrankstoa00trogoog#page/n6/mode/2up, as it is out of copyright (first published 1881).

It is a great source, and an interesting read!

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Nikal Seyn » 03 Sep 2012 10:46

Sounds good to me. Anyone else?
Nikal Seyn

Postby Liz » 04 Sep 2012 03:35

I support the idea of focusing on copyright free works. I will be more likely to participate if I don't have to pay and wait (and wait) for a hard copy... and in many ways I prefer working with period sources because modern writers often skip or sanitise details that I find interesting.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby zerostate » 04 Sep 2012 03:54

That's three of us then! Anyone else with us, or have a different suggestion?

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Mark » 04 Sep 2012 22:07

Good to see this old idea re-kindled guys! I would love to join you but my own list of books to read is already huge. That said I find this thread interesting and will check out your suggestions. Any ideas what book you will begin with?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby zerostate » 07 Sep 2012 01:53

Mark wrote:Good to see this old idea re-kindled guys! I would love to join you but my own list of books to read is already huge. That said I find this thread interesting and will check out your suggestions. Any ideas what book you will begin with?

Mark

Well, I am going to re-read Akand-Troyte's Through the Ranks to a Commission regardless of this forum, so it does not hurt me to offer to comment and assist other readers (and learn when they know more), i.e, lead a group read for that book. Anyone up for that?

I'll start with just one other person.

If not, please someone else come up with a book and some leadership.

Chris

zerostate

Postby Liz » 08 Sep 2012 11:46

Chris

Have printed off the book in question... suggest you start a new topic (not in this forum, but perhaps the members research forum? reference books forum?) and go from there. Cheers,

Liz
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Rural53 » 08 Sep 2012 12:11

Just downloaded it. For those with e-readers it can be downloaded from http://archive.org/details/throughrankstoa00trogoog
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Sep 2012 15:14

I've started the thread off in the reference books section. http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7449&p=32304#p32304.

Hope to see you there!

Chris

zerostate

Postby zerostate » 09 Sep 2012 00:51

Sorry to double post...

I'm thinking we give everyone taking part a week between chapters? Is that too long or not? My thoughts are that although the chapters are short, a week would give everyone who wants to take part time to do so.

Your thoughts?

Chris

zerostate

Postby Jonathan » 18 Sep 2012 19:33

I am really pleased to see this idea picked up and used! I cannot join in at the moment, but I would like to do so in the future!
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Feedback & Suggestions