VWF tie

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: VWF tie

Postby rclpillinger » 29 Apr 2015 11:46

Cravat?
rclpillinger

Postby Mark » 29 Apr 2015 12:02

mike snook wrote:Ooh no. :o Just to show what a good idea it was to amalgamate my late regiment with Frogsmile's, I have to say I don't like either of those designs. I would wear a tie, would almost certainly lose a lapel badge within a fortnight, but couldn't be seen dead in either of those designs. Funny old world ain't it. :roll:

As ever

M

:lol: :lol: :lol: Plenty of other design options, don't worry :D

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 29 Apr 2015 12:15

Perhaps plain ties with a logo, a choice of red or blue - pending your Army or Naval interests :wink:

Mark

VWF Tie 03.PNG
VWF Tie 03.PNG (48.64 KiB) Viewed 474 times
VWF Tie 04.PNG
VWF Tie 04.PNG (48.02 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Apr 2015 12:16

Mark wrote:The British Medal Forum designed and distributed a pin on badge several years back, of which I have one. Lovely design and quality little item. Banker (who is a mod on the BMF) might correct me, but I don't think they have produced more since the original batch sold out. The only issue is the immense amount of time that would be needed to distribute them, with members living world wide. I would also suggest that quite a large number would need to be made to keep the costs down. There would, of course, still be quite an initial financial layout to have them made.

Mark

Yes, there would need to be a lot of pre-orders to make it worthwhile, not to mention agreement on whether it be tie, hoodie or lapel pin. To get a quality lapel badge is just as expensive as a silt tie too.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Apr 2015 12:18

mike snook wrote:Ooh no. :o Just to show what a good idea it was to amalgamate my late regiment with Frogsmile's, I have to say I don't like either of those designs. I would wear a tie, would almost certainly lose a lapel badge within a fortnight, but couldn't be seen dead in either of those designs. Funny old world ain't it. :roll:

As ever

M

Ha ha...yes indeed. Notwithstanding taste in ties, I have been a bit worried about the amalgamation of an at times operationally unlucky regiment with a lucky one. No doubt they will sort it all out though. :wink:

P.S. I predicted the new collar badge within 24 hours notice of the amalgamation. It was a no brainer.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Apr 2015 12:22

rclpillinger wrote:Cravat?

Typical cavalry..... :roll:
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Josh&Historyland » 29 Apr 2015 16:04

Cavalry were the clotheshorses of the army!

As for the so far presented designs. I'm not fond of the second one, it's a tad in your face. The first on is better, but looks like a Help for Heroes tie. Plain colour options with the logo is a smart idea, as indeed are t shirts and hoodies by the way, on which you could use the black and white header bar image of iSandlwana to boot.

I'd still plump for either pale blue (which is striking against a dark suit or shirt, and compliments a white shirt in tone.) or if multi colours are preferable, I'd still opt for a wide tri stripe of pale gold grey and blue, with subtle and minute red and navy blue stripe on the borders of each colour. Forum logo should rightly be positioned high, or else if you button up the jacket it will be hidden.

(There's another option. A repeated print of miniature forum logos over a pale blue field)

PS. Apparel is a fun idea, especially if they were order on demand which would surely lower the manufacture cost.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby grumpy » 29 Apr 2015 17:45

Frogsmile wrote:

As ever

M

Ha ha...yes indeed. Notwithstanding taste in ties, I have been a bit worried about the amalgamation of an at times operationally unlucky regiment with a lucky one. No doubt they will sort it all out though. :wink:

P.S. I predicted the new collar badge within 24 hours notice of the amalgamation. It was a no brainer.

1st RWF would not have considered they belonged to a lucky regiment at the end of October 1914. About 80 left standing.

For what it is worth, a tie is a non-starter for me. I wear one for Church only, and own about 50!
No use for holding trousers up these days, as the ties seem to have shrunk.
A nice lapel badge would be [I think] both cheaper and more popular.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Apr 2015 18:59

grumpy wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:

As ever

M

1st RWF would not have considered they belonged to a lucky regiment at the end of October 1914. About 80 left .

I should think almost every regular battalion could say that between 14-18 Grumpy, e.g. 2nd Devonshire at Bois-de-Buttes, 1st Lancs Fus at 'V Beach', Cape Helles, etc.

I was thinking more of the Victorian era as a whole (Chillianwallah, Isandhlwana and that boat incident which might have been earlier and that I can never remember the name of, but that resulted in some VCs) and even then with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 30 Apr 2015 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jf42 » 29 Apr 2015 20:42

Birken 'ead!
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Frogsmile » 29 Apr 2015 22:08

jf42 wrote:Birken 'ead!

No it was a boat launched from the ship 'Assam Valley' off of little Andaman Island in 1867 that led to 5! Members of 2/24th getting life saving VCs. Little known about today, but together with Rorkes Drift totted the 24th's total up rather a lot in less than 25 years.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby mike snook » 30 Apr 2015 00:27

Don't be like that Frogsmile...you have shares in them now!

As ever

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Frogsmile » 30 Apr 2015 08:12

mike snook wrote:Don't be like that Frogsmile...you have shares in them now!

As ever

M

Yes indeed Mike - good point. A Dewi Sant!

Returning to Grumpy's reply, I agree with him that a lapel pin 'seems' the most sensible option because it will cross any generational divide, in that it can be worn equally well with suit, hoodie, t-shirt, woolly jumper, tweed jacket or even blazer. That said, given our relatively small hard core of regular users, I rather suspect that we won't have the numbers to gain enough traction for making all the setting up worthwhile.

P.S. I must also concur with Col Mike's comment about losing lapel pins. I find the type with butterfly clip useless.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 19 May 2015 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jf42 » 30 Apr 2015 09:13

My apologies. I thought the sinking of H.M.S. Birkenhead might have been a bit early for VCs.

I knew nothing of the HMS Assam incident. "Life saving VCs"- x 5! there was no George Cross then, of course.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby rclpillinger » 30 Apr 2015 19:53

There may have been no George Cross, jf42, but there were ties!

As for "Typical cavalry" frogsmile, smart, even in war.
Attachments
Waterloo 2.JPG
Waterloo 2.JPG (99.43 KiB) Viewed 437 times
rclpillinger

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & Suggestions