VWF tie

Please feel free to post any feedback and suggestions for making improvements to the forum here.

Re: VWF tie

Postby jf42 » 30 Apr 2015 20:00

rclpillinger wrote:There may have been no George Cross, jf42, but there were ties!

As for "Typical cavalry" frogsmile, smart, even in war.

Well, actually, the tie as we know it didn't really evolve until the turn of 20th century.

Necklcloths, stocks, 'cravattes' were worn from the 17th century onwards but that strange ugly inconvenient trapezoid thing that most men probably dislike wearing with equally fervour, I suspect a Hussar in the Napoleonic war would not know what to do with one.

As I said 'hypothetically'.

What was I THINKING?
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby mike snook » 30 Apr 2015 20:38

Steady now boys....those Andaman Island VCs were awarded for gallantry, not 'life saving'. The natives of the Andaman Islands were notoriously fierce and the whole affair was played out under fire. You can be brave in a boat you know....ask the Navy.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Frogsmile » 30 Apr 2015 22:53

I don't know whether the following account is considered accurate, or not, and Wikipedia is not the best of sources. I had not read of the details for some years, but I recall that 'life-saving' was specifically mentioned so it stuck in my mind. Sure enough it is repeated here in the account linked below. A brave man no doubt and, sadly, after surviving that he was fated to end his life at Isandhlwana. Like I said in a musing sense ...there often seemed to me something unlucky about the good old 24th....brave men that they were, though of course every regiment / battalion suffers misfortune at times.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_ ... s_%28VC%29
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Previous

Return to Feedback & Suggestions