Does anyone know what happened to the Highland Brigade

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Does anyone know what happened to the Highland Brigade

Postby der_rittmeister » 22 Feb 2014 18:12

Wondering if anyone knows what became of the Highland Brigade, they were a web based sutler a few years back specializing in making reproduction highland regiment uniforms from the Crimean and and other Victorian periods. Wondering if the gentlement is still producing by another name.
Thanks!
der_rittmeister

Re: Does anyone know what happened to the Highland Brigade

Postby GrantRCanada » 23 Feb 2014 06:37

I have wondered about that myself. I bought a number of items from him some years back.
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby der_rittmeister » 23 Feb 2014 16:05

Would you by any chance remember the gentleman's name? I might be able to track him down with a name.
der_rittmeister

Postby GrantRCanada » 23 Feb 2014 20:24

Unfortunately, I can't recall the chap's name, but clearly recall that he was located in
Texas. I just did a Google search and it came up with this "business listing" ..... although I don't know how current the information may be, but It shows no website which might jibe with his apparent disappearance from the internet ....

http://www.hotfrog.com/Companies/The-Highland-Brigade

The "email link" shown there doesn't produce an actual e-mail address, but rather just brings up a form allowing you to send a message through Hotfrog .... presumably so they can promote their services to businesses.

However, it does give an address in Colleyville, Texas, and a phone number, so perhaps you can follow up on it from there .... Let us know what you discover ....
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby balaklava » 23 Feb 2014 22:12

Greetings. Tim Mackie ran Highland Brigade for years. but he shut down about the time I was making Crimean period jackets. I got a load of 93rd buttons from him and glad I did - when I did.

He is a great guy just not sure what his present dispositon is with the vending / supplying presently.

Cheers, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1854-57.
balaklava

Postby GrantRCanada » 24 Feb 2014 05:27

Yes, now I recall the name! I wonder if he might still have stock to dispose of .....

der_rittmeister: You wouldn't by any chance be seeking Victorian-era items for the 42nd/Black Watch?

Although the late-Victorian Highland impression I originally wanted to do was "5th Royal Scots of Canada" (which later became the Black Watch of Canada) I could not get suitable buttons and insignia at the time, so I settled on the Imperial Black Watch .... and got some buttons and other stuff from Tim Mackie. However, I subsequently came upon a source of reproduction badges and buttons for the 5th RSofC, and converted my impression to the Canadian unit I really wanted to do. (Actually, the badges and buttons I obtained were "prototypes" from a chap up here who was considering having them put into production, but that project didn't go ahead, so I literally got the only ones available .... and have the distinction of being the sole re-enactor of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada on the planet!)

Anyway, on the off chance you might be seeking reproduction 42nd/Black Watch buttons, badges and other regiment-specific items - e.g. sporrans, hose and hose-tops, regimental belt buckle, glengarry, etc. - all such details were different for the 5th Royal Scots so I replaced them, with the 42nd/Black Watch items now being surplus to my needs ....
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby der_rittmeister » 04 Mar 2014 20:00

GrantRCanada wrote:Yes, now I recall the name! I wonder if he might still have stock to dispose of .....

der_rittmeister: You wouldn't by any chance be seeking Victorian-era items for the 42nd/Black Watch?

Although the late-Victorian Highland impression I originally wanted to do was "5th Royal Scots of Canada" (which later became the Black Watch of Canada) I could not get suitable buttons and insignia at the time, so I settled on the Imperial Black Watch .... and got some buttons and other stuff from Tim Mackie. However, I subsequently came upon a source of reproduction badges and buttons for the 5th RSofC, and converted my impression to the Canadian unit I really wanted to do. (Actually, the badges and buttons I obtained were "prototypes" from a chap up here who was considering having them put into production, but that project didn't go ahead, so I literally got the only ones available .... and have the distinction of being the sole re-enactor of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada on the planet!)

Anyway, on the off chance you might be seeking reproduction 42nd/Black Watch buttons, badges and other regiment-specific items - e.g. sporrans, hose and hose-tops, regimental belt buckle, glengarry, etc. - all such details were different for the 5th Royal Scots so I replaced them, with the 42nd/Black Watch items now being surplus to my needs ....

I am trying to move into buying originals where available and where I can afford them. However, I might be interested in seeing what the sporrans and belt buckle look like.
der_rittmeister

Postby Burgher » 26 Jun 2014 11:36

GrantR, if I may be so bold, I am looking for BW items for a new display at the War Museum of the Boer Republics in Bloemfontein. The folks there asked me to assist as they are putting up a few new displays. One of these should be a BW soldier in earlty war kit (late 1899/early 1900). What kit do you have that you want to get rid of?
Burgher
Participating Member

Postby GrantRCanada » 03 Jul 2014 04:54

Burgher:

I am just back home from a trip ..... I will have to check what it is I do have. (It is all reproduction stuff, by the way, if that makes a difference.)
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Return to Re-enacting