It's all in the details...

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

It's all in the details...

Postby Folkert van Wijk » 25 Oct 2013 09:56

Getting the right uniform, shirt, shoes, hat etz. already could be difficult, but ones you have that, the real work/fun begins.

For me that is the details. To be honest as with all reenactors groups of any period I soon get bored seeing the same uniforms over and over again and hearing the same stories. To me seeing a reenactor that has personalized and detailed his kit and knows where he as a soldier came from and is going to be, makes it really come to life!

So my question is what personal things do you guys and girls do show to the people besides your uniform and weapons?
And where did you get it and what is your reference?
Also I would like to have this topic about asking questions about details.

The most obvious thing are stuff like all the badges cloth and metal that show what you are and where your coming from as a soldier. Where can we boy this and is there some choice?
Next would be jewelry, and small personal stuff like watches, wallets, bibles, diaries, photo's of your loved ones etz.
And offcourse where do you carry your stuff and other equipment in, backs, backbag etz.

For me, because I like to smoke a pipe the first thing to ask would be what kind of pipe was prefered back then and what kind of lighter would mostly be used by soldiers out on the field??
Does anyone have a picture of a pipe smoking soldier?

Al ideas, suggestions, photo's, websites and shops are welcome...
Folkert van Wijk

Re: It's all in the details...

Postby Folkert van Wijk » 28 Oct 2013 10:59

Maybe this post should better be posterd under reeneactment ?

Moderator note: now moved :)
Folkert van Wijk

Postby NemoMcN » 12 Apr 2015 14:44

This should be a good discussion, I'm surprised nobody has bitten yet.

One thing I like to replicate as closely as possible is food while in the field. Experiencing the life of a soldier of the period by using all five senses makes for a more immersive experience for the reenactor. The public is often fascinated by a meal I might be cooking in my English mess tin, or completely disgusted at the tin of bully beef that I might be snacking on. Cooking also gives you a good activity to fill your time at Living History events. I like to have something to do, so that I am not standing around awkwardly doing nothing when not actually speaking with someone.

I have collected various recipes over the years for hard tack, ships biscuit, or other bread items that were issued, and I try to replicate the original packaging for these as well. Canned goods are easy to replicate using a modern equivalent. I remove the modern labels and replace with period labels I have collected and turned into .Pdf images for easy printing. If anyone is looking for Bully beef labels or any other labels, let me know. I have a pretty substantial collection of food labels for canned goods spanning the late 1800's to 1940's.

This is an interesting blog I have been following, which gives some pretty good insight and cooking ideas for the usage of the humble mess tin:
http://joyoffieldrations.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

- Brian
NemoMcN

Postby Isandlwana » 15 May 2015 20:33

Folkert van Wijk,

In answer to your pipe question - Clay pipes - see the photograph below taken inside Dublin Castle.

A game of cards and a jug of porter complete the scene.

John Young Collection.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Yorkshire Dragoons » 12 Aug 2015 17:53

Cleaning kit !!!

As a cavalry reenactor we don't have a huge amount of down time to spare but when we do I find cleaning horse tack is always a good way to help interact with the public.
Eating is always a good talking point too.. though not a burger and can of pop from the event catering vans ...

My own person thought is that while the public is around we are always 'on duty' and should be ready to talk to the public, avoid as much as possible the 21st century and enjoy our hobby.

Tim B
Tim Bickerdike

Yorkshire Dragoons
North Somerset Yeomanry
Lancashire Hussars
Yorkshire Dragoons

Return to Re-enacting