Campaign chests

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Campaign chests

Postby BShajari » 02 Apr 2013 03:41

I've done quite a bit of searching to no avail, so I figured I would post in here regarding my question...

Are there any documented examples of campaign chests that officers might have had personalised for their respective regiment, company, etc? I ask because I am about to turn a chest I have into an officer's campaign chest from around the mid to late 1880's using the regiment one of my ancestors was in (Colonel Colville Frankland, Royal Dublin Fusiliers).

Thanks!

Brian
Brian A. Shajari

Proud descendant of RADM Charles Colville Frankland, RN
BShajari

Re: Campaign chests

Postby acanthus » 03 Apr 2013 19:04

Probably not exactly what you are looking for however, it was the case that many of these military chests were made in two pieces for ease of packing and moving; and more from the point of view of identification and prevention of loss, ay least one chest that I know of is marked on the back in large black letters, with the owners rank, name and regiment; this marking would not be seen if the chest was placed against a wall of a building or tent.

From what you say, I assume you are referring to a more visual mark of identity, such as found on travelling chests, pistol cases etc., and this sort of personal marking was quite often a relatively small brass plate or escutcheon, circular, oval or rectangular, or such like, which could have been engraved with the officers or soldiers rank (regimental number), name and regimental title.

In the case of a person who was titled, or had a coat of arms, the escutcheon may be shield shaped and bearing the coat of arms, or maybe one of the other shapes of escutcheon, more simply engraved with the crest and possibly the intials of the owner.
acanthus

Postby QSVC » 04 Apr 2013 00:31

Hello,

Its a subject I've been pursuing for a while myself for much the same reason, the chests appear on E Bay on a regular basis mainly in the UK and usually the pics will give you a good idea of layout, materials used, naming, etc but I haven't found any standard layout or format...The name plates also appear with the same regularity, I've just picked up a brass one to a military outfitter based in London.

I'm still assembling the bits and pieces for a writing desk, its all in the thrill of the hunt.

Good luck,

Robert
QSVC

Postby acanthus » 04 Apr 2013 20:13

My own example is made of teak, it's two-piece with a secretaire section at the top, is brass bound, has detachable bun feet, the locks are marked GR (George Rex), and it was origonally owned by an officer in the Madras Native Infantry.
acanthus

Return to Re-enacting