2nd Volunteer Battalion, Royal West Surrey Regiment, 1883

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Re: 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Royal West Surrey Regiment, 188

Postby grumpy » 01 Jun 2013 17:57

What are the two chevrons on the left cuff?

Away from my sources at the moment but I don't think they are in VF regs 1878 or 1891.

My memory is that regulars had them for Good Conduct, and Militia for re-engagement, but no trace for VF.

I expect I am wrong!
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Dixie » 03 Jun 2013 09:22

Hi Frogsmile,

Thanks for the info, I will be looking at pictures of feet and amending accordingly. We usually wear gaiters, which might be why this has not been noticed sooner.

Grumpy, the badges on the cuff were long service good conduct, but I have since been informed that the volunteers did not wear them and have removed them!

We just came back from a weeked at Shoreham Fort, which was good fun. I managed a personal best of 17 rounds in the one minute firing competition (blanks) and now sport a rather fetching sun burned face complete with chin strap mark!
Commanding Officer
The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Re-enactment Society
http://www.Q2VB.co.uk
Dixie

Postby Frogsmile » 04 Jun 2013 16:21

Dixie wrote:Hi Frogsmile,

Thanks for the info, I will be looking at pictures of feet and amending accordingly. We usually wear gaiters, which might be why this has not been noticed sooner.

You are in good company Dixie, modern soldiers invariably wear their trousers shorter than the design of their uniform intended too, but then they are not attempting to look like Victorians! The trousers were worn much longer then and SNCOs in particular often had their trousers cut long and shaped to look similar to the leather strapped down hems favoured by their officers.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Dixie » 25 Feb 2014 10:44

Hi all,

Here is a photo of two of us from our recent training day. We have also discovered it is really hard to get a good firing photograph!

Dixie
Commanding Officer
Dixie

Postby Dixie » 19 May 2014 12:19

Here are a few more photos from our event this weekend, a regimental timeline charity event to raise money for SSAFA, with £539 collected on the day. There were representitives of the Queen's from the Napoleonic era right through to modern day cadets and PWRR.

Commanding Officer
Dixie

Previous

Return to Re-enacting