Paddelators

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Paddelators

Postby Hillebrandt » 14 Mar 2012 20:04

I tacked a query about this company onto my Melton cloth thread but haven't had any specific responses yet.

Does anybody have any experience of this company? They are apparently located in Cawnpore, as I believe are Replicators.

I know that some of you have had varied experiences with Sanjay at Replicators and advise being very specific when ordering from him. The other company has been mentioned on WWI & WWII forums with the advice to steer well clear.

My friend who was looking for cloth to make his own tunic has seen the Paddelators prices and is now inclined to buy rather than make. I can understand him being impressed by their website, thinking that he is going get something similar to the uniform pictures shown. However, it looks as if most of the photos have been taken from other sites - particularly Sutlers/ 19th C Tailoring.

I will contact him to tell him not to order for the moment and look forward to receiving any guidance from VWF members.

Thanks,

David
Hillebrandt

Re: Paddelators

Postby QSVC » 15 Mar 2012 03:54

Hello David,

I've only had experience with Sanjay, and the items I've bought I've had to buy again elsewhere. I find only a small percentage of buyers are inclined to put a bad experience in writing so if you've found a few people complain, chances are good the problem is larger. There are a number of retailers that will provide a quality product without taking a gamble on the outcome, there's no need for a huge financial outlay either as thats the other end of the equation, sometimes expensive doesn't always = quality either.

If it was my money, I'd be looking for someone local who can meet his needs. Or perhaps look for someone getting out of the field and getting rid of their gear. There's other options than disappointment.

Two bob from one bob.

Robert
QSVC

Postby Oswald Bastable » 10 Apr 2012 23:46

Well I can comfirm that the site is replicators under a different name and I have ordered from both sites. As has been mentioned else where you do need to specific with your requirements and not assume anything. other than that I think you do need to remind him regulalry about your order (every few weeks) rather than assume its on its way; which is a bit of pain but the prices are very low. I received my orders about 4-7 weeks after placing them.
Oswald Bastable

Postby Hillebrandt » 12 Apr 2012 18:23

Thanks for that Oswald. They don't seem quite as bad as the WW1/2 forum posts make out.

I'll let my friend know - he is already aware of the potential pitfalls of using Sanjay but I reckon he'll be very exact in his requirement descriptions.

David
Hillebrandt

Postby psc945 » 28 Dec 2012 17:09

I have had Items from Sanjay ( replicators ) in the past and now one item at present from Paddelators.
I am impressed with the quality of stitching, machining is very good. The accuracy can be determined by the information you give. They do a lot of items and they have an idea for most things. If you want it to be that much closer in detail, you need to specify and give details, including pictures. Like any maker, they can only go by what knowledge of the item they have. You will not know the detail until it arrives, that means they have put a lot of effort and work into it. If the detail is wrong to you, it must be accepted that you have not specified or clarified that detail, so it is down partly to you.
I have only had a couple of items causing disappointment from replicators, one WW2 Dispatch riders breeches which didn't have the patches on the inside of the legs, second was a cap which was too big, a mistake by one of the machinists not following the order.
The material is not always to the original spec, so check what you require and give them as much info as you can.

I am happy to get items from them, the money I have saved has covered the items that I cannot use. So I don't even send them back. If you contact them they will offer a replacement so they will do what they can to put it right.

There are more now replicating items in the UK, many to chose from. I would look around and then make your own choice.
It is easier to deal with local manufacturer, you can often speak on the phone, or see the items they make, then easily return any problems. The only thing you may not like is the cost is higher. That is the economy here in the UK. I have bought some items from USA too they are slightly cheaper, with some good quality products.
The only thing I will say about imported items, be aware the Import tax will follow you if they see it come in and feel it warrants import duty.
We March any where we are told to, SIR !
psc945

Return to Re-enacting