Recreation of the 41st Brockville Rifles (Canadian Militia)

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Recreation of the 41st Brockville Rifles (Canadian Militia)

Postby gra12er » 06 Jan 2012 04:46

Hello all,

I am a new member to this forum, although I have read through the posts for more than a year. I am a history teacher at a high school in Brighton, Ontario. We run a drill team at the school. We are very industrious, and have represented a number of units in the past, including American Civil War (69th NYSV), as well as the War of 1812 (Glengarry L.I., Provincial Marine, Local militia). For the past two years we have also been recreating the 5th company, 41st Battalion, Brockville Rifles (ca. 1866). We have gone to several events, including the reenactment of the battle of Ridgeway at Fort Erie, as well as encampments at several pioneer villages in the area.

I look forward to benefiting from the forum's collective wisdom, as I seek to improve our authenticity. I am new to recreating this time period, but I am enjoying it immensely. I have included some photos of our group. Comments welcome!

brockville Rifles 3.jpg
Photo of one of our sergeants.
brockville Rifles 3.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

brockville Rifles 1.jpg
Our company at Upper Canada Village (near Cornwall, Ontario) during the Victoria Day celebrations.
brockville Rifles 1.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Geoff Audas
Coach,
E.N.S.S. Student Drill Team
(est. 2006)
gra12er

Re: Recreation of the 41st Brockville Rifles (Canadian Milit

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 06 Jan 2012 08:28

Welcome aboard. I just got finished posting about re-enacting and really admire those who do it. Great, large contingent of re-enactors. I approve of your good looking sergeant.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby QSVC » 06 Jan 2012 09:08

Hello, and welcome.

I agree with ED, looks good and congratulations. If I can find the time, the patience and access to a PC and have all that occur at the exactly the same time I'll post some of my own pictures.

But until then, I'll also agree with ED that yours and Dixies portrayals are excellent.

All the best, look forward to more pics.

Robert
QSVC

Postby Dixie » 06 Jan 2012 11:26

Hi Geoff,

A fine looking unit! excellently turned out. I'm hoping I can bring my chaps up to these kind of numbers this year, we shall see.

I would be very keen to see a higher resolution version of the second photo if possible? I will PM you my email.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Dixie
Commanding Officer
The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Re-enactment Society
http://www.Q2VB.co.uk
Dixie

Postby Mark » 06 Jan 2012 12:33

Welcome to the forum, Geoff! Thanks for posting the excellent pics! Does your drill team have a web site yet? If so please feel free to post a link.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Waggoner » 06 Jan 2012 19:55

Geoff,

Great stuff! Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to reading more about your group. If you also join the Napoleonic Wars forum, I will be able to ask you about your War of 1812 re-enactment. (Plug for Mark :D )

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby gra12er » 08 Jan 2012 03:13

Dear Forum,

Thank you for all your kind words! I found a few more photos of our group if you are interested. The first is of our group informally standing about at Upper Canada Village

UCV4.jpg
UCV4.jpg (220.17 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

I didn't have any larger photos of our group in the first photo I uploaded, but I do have a photo of two of our soldiers in their uniform from around the same time:

UCV3.jpg
UCV3.jpg (198.23 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Another Shot of our soldiers: You may note that they are mostly female: for some reason the club at our school attracts mostly female students, not sure why:

UCV2.jpg
UCV2.jpg (245.75 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

We also have some bell tents, 3 for now but we are also soon going to have access to two more after this summer. It is our goal to put on a fairly accurate/period camp. My father has agreed to make up some period ammo boxes (I have one in my collection from 1868), and I might get some appropriate camp chairs as well:

UCV1.jpg
UCV1.jpg (250.66 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

In regard to specific questions / requests:

Dixie: I hope these photos are what you were looking for, please let me know if you would like additional ones.

Mark: We do not yet have our own webpage, but that is something to look into soon.

We are a work in progress. I am embarrassed to say that my troops are wearing black jeans in these photos: I am looking into getting proper trousers for them, complete with the red welt. It is a toss up between black, dark grey, and green trousers at this point. I also have to decide if I have the energy to make them all myself, or to approach a sutler.

I would also like to acquire more realistic looking Enfields for our portrayal. Right now we use guns made up by my father. They are good, but there is always room for improvement.

I have based the uniforms on that of the 5th company of Brockville Rifles, I came across a picture of a fellow from that unit in an Osprey book a few years ago. The picture is already on the forum, but here it is again so you can compare our soldiers to the real deal:

41st Brockville Rifles.jpg
41st Brockville Rifles.jpg (114.43 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Our fellows have little cap pouches, I based this on the images of the 3rd Victoria Rifles I found on the McCord Website, taken prior to the issuing of Snider Enfield Rifles. I really like the look (and the simplicity in construction) of the Wool jumpers, although I would love to make up the more dressy versions of the uniform, I'm still researching possible material sources for that. I have really enjoyed this shift from just doing 1812, considering the pioneer village type locales in our immediate area, it has given us more variety in the types of events we can do!
Geoff Audas
Coach,
E.N.S.S. Student Drill Team
(est. 2006)
gra12er

Postby Jeff Shaver » 23 May 2013 02:34

Geoff,

It was a pleasure to see your reenactors at Upper Canada Village recently. Your group did a great job. I met you briefly but did not have much time to talk. I am with the Brockville Infantry Company 1862. We reenact Canadian militia. Also, I just retired as the Commanding Officer of The Brockville Rifles reserve unit. So it was a special treat for me to see your group. I am looking after The Brockville Rifles 150th Anniversary coming up in 2016. We are currently making plans for that celebration year. It would be great to include your group in our celebrations as well. Also, I can arrange a trip to the Brockville Armouries to see our museum and the current day Regiment. We have a lot of history in our armouries. I look forward to hearing from you and hope we may speak in the near future.

Jeff
Jeff Shaver

Postby balaklava » 23 May 2013 12:58

Very well done ! Top notch impressions. Best of luck in the developement of the Brockville Rifles unit. I predict they will do well !

Cheers, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1854-56 Reenactors.
93rdhighlanders.com
balaklava

Return to Re-enacting