Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Re: Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Postby balaklava » 24 Mar 2013 17:59

Greetings. Anything new popping up on the reenacting gear topic ? I am still searching for a dark blue wollen enlisted greatcoat for the Crimean War period. These are nearly a match for the US infnatry enlisted greatcoats from the US Civil War 1861-65. Not wanting to acquire one of these from the wrong period and would rather have the correct garments for specific historical impressions, my search continues ... Best to All !!!

Cheer, Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1854-57.
balaklava

Postby GrantRCanada » 24 Mar 2013 18:21

Johnnie:
Have you considered asking one of the makers of the Civil War greatcoats (at least some of which I gather are made to measure when an order comes in) to make any necessary modifications for you - or getting a tailor/seamstress to make such modifications in following a pattern for such a greatcoat? Differences are likely only to be collar type - e.g. possibly "stand and fall" rather than "standing" or vice versa, length of coat body and cape, number and positioning of buttons, and other such relatively minor differences. Such variations shouldn't pose a problem for any decent seamstress in making up what you need.
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby balaklava » 15 Apr 2013 01:20

Grant, that is a great suggestion. I also do not think modifications would be too difficult. The only thing I see in pics from the Crimean great coat vs the US Civil War period greatcoats are things like different cape length & button count. I keep seeing "oxford gray" was the color of enlisted greatcoats. Oxford gray is not light gray, it's more of a dark color almost black, yes ?

Cheerio ! Johnnie, 93rd Highlanders 1854-57.
balaklava

Previous

Return to Re-enacting