Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Re: Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Postby Albert J » 18 Sep 2012 12:28

Grant,

You did an outstanding job on the water bottle! It sounds as though the weak point was the leather from the belt you used. If you PM me with your mailing details I will send you off two buff leather sporran straps that are the same width as the required water bottle strap. You'll just need to cut and "marry" them together to obtain the proper length. I'll include two buff leather sliders or "keeper" also. I have a stack of these marked to various Highland regiments, surplus from the 1950's-60's just tucked away needing a use. They are in superb condition and should not fail you.

James
Albert J

Postby Albert J » 03 Jan 2013 14:26

Grant,

How did the buff straps,chain and stopper I sent work out for the water bottle?

Happy New Year!
Jim
Albert J

Postby Burgher » 03 Jan 2013 15:47

Hi Jim
Do you have any more of those kilt belts? I have two Mk IV canteens and manufactured a belt for one from latigo leather, but it just don't look 100% right... Please PM me if you are willing to sell/swop.
Regards
MC Heunis
Bloemfontein, South Africa
Burgher
Participating Member

Postby Albert J » 03 Jan 2013 16:17

Hi Burgher,

I just saw your post when I logged out. I am on my way out and should return in a few hours. I do have some more sporran belts as well as a 1960's British buff leather belt (not the 3 section '88 pattern) that might work for your buff leather belt question posted in another thread. I'll post some pics upon my return.

James
Albert J

Postby Albert J » 03 Jan 2013 22:10

buff stuff 003 (Copy).jpg
Blancoed belt from the 1960's, below 1940's.
buff stuff 003 (Copy).jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Burgher,

I do indeed have some more sporran straps I can spare. The Blancoed belt in the above pic is 45" inches long and is a dress belt from the 1960's. The 3 section belt below it is a dress belt dated 1940 and lacks the "D" ring features of the '88 pattern belts. Will either of these help? What type of German bayonet frog in buff do you require? Can you post a photo?... I might be able to help with the frog also.

James
buff stuff 002 (Copy).jpg
bucket 'O' buff with sporran straps there on the bottom.
buff stuff 002 (Copy).jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Albert J

Postby GrantRCanada » 04 Jan 2013 00:15

James,

The belts and the bolt and chain from the stopper worked well! The stopper itself was too large for the neck of the repro water bottle, so I used the "hardware" from it with the cork that it came with. Matter of fact, I just got around to doing the strap the other day, and meant to take a photo to post here, but ended up out of town helping a brother-in-law with some renovations, and won't be home till Tomorrow evening. Will try to get a photo up soon.

Many thanks again for your generous contribution of these items! :D
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Burgher » 04 Jan 2013 12:33

James, nice bucket 'o' buff you got there. I will pm you with the details.
Thanks, MC
Burgher
Participating Member

Postby Burgher » 08 Jan 2013 07:17

If anyone is interested, I make the following items on order:

Boer 14-pocket (70-round) canvas and leather bandolier
This replica is based on an original in the collection of the War Museum of the Boer Republics in Bloemfontein. Several types of cloth, canvas, corduroy and even denim bandoliers have been identified, on Boer War photos, but the white canvas type with 14 individual pockets that closed with leather flaps was the most common. Each pocket held a strip of five 7x57mm Mauser rounds or five loose rounds of .303-inch Lee-Metford / Lee-Enfield ammunition, i.e. 70-rounds in total. This type of bandolier was extensively used by foreign volunteers who fought on Boer side, probably because many arrived in South Africa some time after the outbreak of the war when most of the leather bandoliers had already been issued. The white/cream bodies and leather flaps of the canvas bandoliers are easily recognisable on Boer War photographs and photographic evidence exists of both Boer and British troops wearing these bandoliers during the war. Price ZAR 400 (excl. postage)

Boer veldtschoens
Literally translates to veld shoes, or vellies in short. These were worn from the early 1800s to the early 1900s by most Boers, British settlers and even British soldiers stationed in the outpost of the Empire. They are hand sewn from real leather with artificial sinew with flat soles (no heels), just like the opiginal Great Trek version. Price ZAR 750 (excl. postage)

Burgher
Participating Member

Postby Albert J » 08 Jan 2013 14:16

Nicely executed burgher.

James
Albert J

Postby Chasseurs » 02 Mar 2013 11:47

Hi everyone.

has anyone have had problems lately with Stan Dolan from QMS in the USA?
I've ordered (and paid) a few items from him back in November 2012, and other than 1 reply he's waiting for the correct leather,
I've heard nothing from him since, and above all, my mails remain unanswered. my last mail from earlier this week in which I request my money back remained unanswered, so I'm starting to get worried a lost a good deal of money.
thanks,
Guy
w've got at least 60 of them !
Well that leaves another 3940.....
Chasseurs

Postby Hillebrandt » 03 Mar 2013 14:03

Yes Guy, I had some problems with Stan last year.

Having placed and paid for an order in May/June I heard nothing until September when he advised that he had had some health issues. I was just about to get my credit card company to get my money back (PayPal will only accept refund requests within 45 days of payment), when he contacted me. I confirmed that I still needed the goods but due to him having to go back into hospital I didn't receive them until November.

His son was trying to fulfill his orders in his absence but obviously not replying to concerned e-mails. It may be that Stan has had a recurrence of his illness but I note that he has browsed this forum recently.

If you paid him by credit card you may want to get in touch with them to open a case for refund. At the same time I would e-mail Stan again and let him know what you intend to do. This may prompt a reply from either Stan or his son.

Good luck,

David
Hillebrandt

Postby GrantRCanada » 03 Mar 2013 18:55

I had an almost identical experience with Stan a few years ago .... with the same type of explanation offered. (I don't know Stan personally, but if he does have ongoing health problems, then I suppose that makes sense.)

I too ultimately received my goods, and have dealt with him since then.

Stan has recently been posting photos on a new Facebook page - "Never Setters" (as in: "The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire") .... but of course, if he is laid up in bed or the like, he may still be able to browse forums and such ..... (I agree that it is very annoying for one's inquiries to be ignored, however ....)
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby colsjt65 » 04 Mar 2013 03:47

A friend of mine has just told that he has just received a grey-back shirt and mess tin strap, after more than a year's delay, from Stan.
colsjt65

Postby QSVC » 04 Mar 2013 04:05

Hello all,

I've dealt with him and ordered various items from him and received decent service. He was visiting VWF until recently so perhaps a PM might aid the cause.

He's a decent bloke and would do his best to fullfill his obligations.

Robert
QSVC

Postby Chasseurs » 06 Mar 2013 11:13

Hello all,

thanks for the answers. I will mail a couple times more and wait for a reply,
thanks,

Guy
w've got at least 60 of them !
Well that leaves another 3940.....
Chasseurs

PreviousNext