Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

The RQM

Postby QSVC » 16 Dec 2010 23:54

Hello,

I ordered a tunic & other material off Stan at the RQM which arrived yesterday, very nice quality he gets a thumbs up from me.

Robert
QSVC

Re: Where to buy re-enacting gear?

Postby the*good*doctor » 19 Dec 2010 13:39

Robert,

I am very pleased to hear ! Stan makes some very nice things and covers the entire Victorian War period. The "Seasons Greetings" to you and your family.

Best of health,

Dr.John
the*good*doctor

Re: The RQM

Postby The RQM » 20 Dec 2010 03:14

QSVC wrote:Hello,

I ordered a tunic & other material off Stan at the RQM which arrived yesterday, very nice quality he gets a thumbs up from me.

Robert

Robert,
Many thanks. Got your email and I'll send you some pix of the item you still need to confirm.
Cheers and Happy Christmas
Stan
The RQM

Postby The RQM » 20 Dec 2010 03:15

the*good*doctor wrote:Robert,

I am very pleased to hear ! Stan makes some very nice things and covers the entire Victorian War period. The "Seasons Greetings" to you and your family.

Best of health,

Dr.John

Dr. John,
Thank you for the good words.
Cheers and Happy Christmas
Stan
The RQM

Postby astrang1 » 06 Mar 2011 12:08

Hello,
This site is worth visiting for reenactors. It looks like it will be added to with more kit.
They also have DIY kits for certain pieces of equipment if you wish tp part make your own gear.
Best wishes,
Al

http://www.thomas-sutlers-store.com/ind ... ommon/home
astrang1

Postby Von Tempsky » 10 Mar 2011 22:38

Hello Chaps,

Very interesting thread, I have been a re-enactor for about 10 years but am new to the Victorian scene. I am looking to try and pick up some tall officers boots appropriate for the Desert expidition 1884-5 in the Sudan and wondered if anyone can be of assistance pointing me in the right direction?

Many thanks

VT
Theirs is not to reason why, theirs is but to do or die
Von Tempsky

Postby BShajari » 08 May 2012 08:27

The Thin Red Line was a terrific company and I was lucky enough to purchase an 1888 Slade and Wallace full set from Keith before he sadly passed away in 2003. I don't think the company is still in operation, although the website says that it is, however, only a few of the items are available for purchase. His products were great and I still have my Slade and Wallace set...I take very good care of it because it's so well made and very accurate.
Brian A. Shajari

Proud descendant of RADM Charles Colville Frankland, RN
BShajari

Postby Chasseurs » 27 Jun 2012 17:57

I tried a lot of links for Crimean war uniforms. Since I'm in Belgium, I thought some UK based sutlers could help but I do not get much reaction. though uniform wise its not that desperate, but what about equipment since you need specific equipment and insignia for each seperate regiment of foot.
I did find these chaps: http://www.thediehards.org.ua/aboutus.htm
anyone familiar with the mentioned sutlers on the uniform and equipment page?

thanks,
Guy
w've got at least 60 of them !
Well that leaves another 3940.....
Chasseurs

Postby Chasseurs » 28 Jun 2012 18:24

BShajari wrote:The Thin Red Line was a terrific company and I was lucky enough to purchase an 1888 Slade and Wallace full set from Keith before he sadly passed away in 2003. I don't think the company is still in operation, although the website says that it is, however, only a few of the items are available for purchase. His products were great and I still have my Slade and Wallace set...I take very good care of it because it's so well made and very accurate.

I tried earlier todat to contact them by mail. they still have their website up, and at least one e-mail address, but the mail kept coming back as undelivrable. So, I guess I too will have to take care of my valise equipment that I bought so long ago from Keith.

Guy
Chasseurs

Postby Dixie » 29 Jun 2012 09:15

I believe that no buyers were found for the ThinRedLine and a fair amount of the remaining stock found its way to Sabre Sales in Portsmouth. However, I have heard that Steve from the Victorian Strollers is looking to expand his business to fill the ThinRedLine gap and supply a similar catalogue of stock.
Commanding Officer
The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment Re-enactment Society
http://www.Q2VB.co.uk
Dixie

Postby Chasseurs » 29 Jun 2012 18:24

I got somebits and pieces from Steve.
Any change he might venture into Crimean war?

Guy
Chasseurs

Postby Kelley Wright » 14 Sep 2012 09:46

Oh I was wondering if the THIN RED LINE shop was still open. Sad if it isn't. I have been trying to find one of those round enameled water bottles for a while, as I am tire of rusty water. I was almost thinking of getting one of these wooden Olive water bottles, but they would seem out of date for 2nd Boer War, and most of the ones I seen on line advise you not to drink out of them. THE THIN RED LINE was the only shop I found that sold those blue water bottles, unless someone else knows of another good source?
Kelley Wright

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Sep 2012 01:16

Apparently Thin Red Line is gone. It struggled along after Keith's death (family?) but is now completely defunct, I gather

I couldn't locate a source for a Pattern 1895 waterbottle, so I "concocted" my own. Bought one of the modestly-priced covered stainless-steel Civil War canteens and removed the existing cloth cover. Then I spray-painted the exposed loops and canteen neck with a suitably coloured enamel and baked it on in a low-heat oven. Finally, I stitched on a new cover of tan/khaki wool.

Turned out OK, I think .... at least for my purposes -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Kelley Wright » 16 Sep 2012 15:08

Thanks, I was thinking about the same thing. I didn't know how they compared in sizes with one another. I should pop over to the discussion about water bottles as there are a couple items about them I do want to discuss. The painted civil war water bottle does look nice, and can be bought with brown or tan covers.
Kelley Wright

Postby GrantRCanada » 16 Sep 2012 16:23

Kelley:

Based on the measurement scale on pages 16 & 17 of Pierre Turner's "Soldier's Accoutrements ...", the fabric-covered British Pattern 1895 (Mark IV?) waterbottle depicted was about 7.25 to 7.3 inches in diameter. I suspect that there may have been some slight variation from one manufacturer to another. My finished waterbottle is about 7.5" in diameter .... definitely close enough for my non-exacting purposes.

One thing I don't like, is the size of the chain-attachment ring on the top of the stopper .... much larger than that on the originals .... so I will probably change that out.

I made a "proper" buff leather carry strap (as seen in the second picture above) but it failed to survive the first event I used it (where that photo was taken). It was so blamed hot and humid that we were all in "shirtsleeves order", but still ended up soaked in sweat. The "buff leather" strap (which I had cut from an old, somewhat damaged buff belt I had, and pieced together like the originals) absorbed a great deal of it and turned into a weak slimy mess which broke a couple of times. Had to knot it together twice to get through the weekend and when it dried it turned rock hard. Having seen photos of originals with bridle leather straps, I will be be making a new carriage with that sort of leather.
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enacting