Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner)

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Re: Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner)

Postby LinnittW » 14 Oct 2014 02:14

Hi Mark,

In amongst a lot of old family photos I received recently there is a photo of a man in uniform which was taken in Melbourne, Victoria here in Australia. Written on the back is Captain Lane and I am fairly certain that he is not a family connection but a friend. I am guessing the time is around the late 1800s but that is just a guess. I would like to find out about the uniform he is wearing and his service record if possible. How do I go about sending you a scan of the photo. I have searched countless sites
about uniforms but haven't had any success. Your site looks very interesting and I look forward to looking at it in depth.

Regards,
LinnittW
LinnittW

Postby t100 » 14 Oct 2014 17:27

Hello Linnitt

LinnittW wrote:How do I go about sending you a scan of the photo

If you want to upload the image on the site you can click on the 'upload attachment' tab underneath the white text box when you write your post.

T
t100
Participating Member

Postby LinnittW » 15 Oct 2014 00:41

Thank you.

L
LinnittW

Postby 4746 » 04 Nov 2014 00:43

Hello from Alan,
New member here interested in leather gear from the 1880's to WW1. Special interest in the Bandoliers worn during the Mexican Revolution. I have researched and found photos of 1882, 1888, 1901, and 1903 British bandoliers worn by various Mexican soldiers and banditos. I particularly like the 1888 model and would sure like to find a reproduction or an original in bad condition for a reasonable price. I am a high level leather crafter and would like to reproduce some of these with tooling grade leather and quality hardware. I also have access to a foundry and can cast replacement parts if anyone needs them. It would be great if I could find a mentor that could direct me to some good books to buy with high quality photos of early bandoliers and give me advice. I visit Smoky Mountain knife works in Tenn. often and they bought the entire Nepal armoury with all the Martini Henry's and other gear. Don't have a lot of time to enjoy the forum but will visit when I can. Anyone that can help please feel free to e-mail at <chisholms_trail@netscape.com> or call (678) 423-7351. Thanks and looking forward to making a lot of friends.
We make a lot of cowboy era gun leather at <westernleatherholster.com>. Alan

Postby GrantRCanada » 04 Nov 2014 05:50

Welcome to VWF, Alan! I have received your message and will reply by direct e-mail.
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Re: Hello from Mark: New Member Patrick

Postby airborne7395 » 14 Jan 2015 17:40

Hello to the forum! I havent participated in forums, and I am so glad to have found you all and been approved. I became interested in this time period after a friend brought me a Martini Henry back from Afghanistan. Then I discovered IMA and it is game on! I just finished Queen Victoria's Little Wars and Washing of the Spears for the second time, and several Osprey books on the Zulu Campaign. I want to broaden my knowledge of the units, uniforms, and weapons of that era. Tonight I will come back on line and work my way through the site. I applaud you all for having such an interesting and historical forum. Im off to work! Thanks for having me.
airborne7395

Postby des from down under » 19 Jan 2015 05:53

Hi Mark, I just came onboard and looking forward to the site..well done on setting it up, I myself am interested in our (nz) early miltary conflicts and being a keen relic hunter and collector I have a reasnable display of battlefield relics including items of the british regiments that served in our country in the victorian era..also maniac fisherman and hunter, hate doing dishes and builder by trade..ps youv,e gotta try me home brew..lol :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
des from down under

Postby surfkitten » 18 Feb 2015 21:00

Hello! Denise from Toronto Canada. Thanks for accepting me into the group!

I recently inherited a very old book with some intriguing photos. The good thing is that I know the names of the people in the photos and the dates related to them. Thanks to Ancestry.com and many hours of research!

I am now interested in some of the military outfits I am seeing in the photos. I have a few relatives who were in Bombay India in 1897 (one of whom I think may have died from bubonic plague). I have at least 4 interesting photos of this Bombay period and also one of a Scottish relative in military garb as well. I am hoping for assistance in understanding the military component of what they were doing, as well as some historical understanding of what was happening at that time.

Looking forward to posting my photos and getting the expert opinion sure to be found here.

Cheers!
surfkitten

Re: Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner

Postby 1950cannon » 26 Feb 2015 20:24

Hello Mark,
This is obviously the site to be associated with to get some info on my Great Grandfather. Really happy to have found you!
Great Grandfather was Edward Wilkinson and was in Rawal Pindi around 1884-8 we think.
He was a professional soldier and served with the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars. I have in my possession a roll of honour for the regiment and an original print of HRH The Late Duke of Clarence and Avondale, which I found in the belongings of an old spinster aunt of mine. He would have been her grandfather. I have tried to upload the photos of the roll and close ups of the individuals on it, but the pics are too wide and high to be uploaded. they are 1024 pixels wide and 768 high. Is there a way I could e-mail them to your forum as I really would like you or your very informed members to clarify what rank my ancestor was? I think he may be a Troop Colour Sergeant..Many thanks for a really interesting site.
Cheers Chris.
1950cannon

Postby ddycher » 27 Feb 2015 13:44

Mark

Thanks for sorting out my log in. Now up and running.

Live in Hong Kong / China. My interest in the period centres around the Rifle Volunteer fore-runners of what was later to be the Volunteers and Territorials of the Devonshire Regiment.

Regards
Dave
ddycher

Postby crimea1854 » 02 Mar 2015 20:53

1950cannon

It looks as if your ancestors service record is avaliable on Find my Past. Service No.1197, married a Maria McKeon, Castlebar, 9th Nov 1874. He served during the Second Afghan War, also being awarded the Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby 1950cannon » 02 Mar 2015 21:16

crimea1854 wrote:1950cannon

It looks as if your ancestors service record is avaliable on Find my Past. Service No.1197, married a Maria McKeon, Castlebar, 9th Nov 1874. He served during the Second Afghan War, also being awarded the Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Martin

I've just found you, Martin. Yes, you're absolutely right. He married Maria Josephine McKeown. Was there anything about his rank?
Chris.
1950cannon

Postby crimea1854 » 02 Mar 2015 21:37

Chris

It has his whole service history, including postings, ranks, dates etc.

To post a photo you will first have to compress the image. I use the following site which is free: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Re: Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner

Postby Frogsmile » 03 Mar 2015 17:02

1950cannon wrote:Hello Mark,
This is obviously the site to be associated with to get some info on my Great Grandfather. Really happy to have found you!
Great Grandfather was Edward Wilkinson and was in Rawal Pindi around 1884-8 we think.
He was a professional soldier and served with the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars. I have in my possession a roll of honour for the regiment and an original print of HRH The Late Duke of Clarence and Avondale, which I found in the belongings of an old spinster aunt of mine. He would have been her grandfather. I have tried to upload the photos of the roll and close ups of the individuals on it, but the pics are too wide and high to be uploaded. they are 1024 pixels wide and 768 high. Is there a way I could e-mail them to your forum as I really would like you or your very informed members to clarify what rank my ancestor was? I think he may be a Troop Colour Sergeant..Many thanks for a really interesting site.
Cheers Chris.

Hello Chris, still waiting to see your photo. If the badge on your GGF arm is three stripes surmounted by a large crown then he is the Troop Sergeant Major (TSM), whose duties were the equivalent of the infantry Colour Sergeant and covered discipline, the passage of oral and written orders (many men were still illiterate), maintaining troop stores, and, most importantly, supervising the pay and acquittance roll.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby smurf » 01 Apr 2015 17:35

Hi my name is Lynne and I am searching this site to find information about my great grandfather. He was born circa 1860 and served with the 2nd battalion Grenadier Guards. I know he received the Egypt star and the khedives star.is this the place to look for help?
smurf

PreviousNext

Return to New Members