Hello from Miami, Fl

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello from Miami, Fl

Postby Felix C » 05 Nov 2017 13:06

Joined some time ago. First post.

Thought to ask what where would be the appropriate section to post a general "what is the best or favorite combat memoir of the period". Something to encompass all the subcategories. Looking for examples of the experience of battle-both rifle fire and close in work with edge weapons, campaigning, dealing with casualties, etc.

Thanks.
Felix C

Re: Hello from Miami, Fl

Postby Mark A. Reid » 05 Nov 2017 15:38

Welcome Felix;

Coincidentally, I just finished re-reading an old classic that still makes me grip the armrest. " The Defence of Plevna, 1877 " by W. Von Herbert is, in my opinin, one of the most honest, moving and accurate descriptions of Victorian warfare that I have ever read. The author was an Anglo-German who was commissioned into the Ottoman Army, fought throughout the siege and survived Russian captivity to write the book fourteen years later.

I found the book so enjoyable that I made a " pilgrimage " to Plevna in September and tramped over much of the terrain where von Herbert had led his loyal, long-suffering soldiers. Who knows, maybe if you read it you will want to go there too!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Felix C » 05 Nov 2017 18:58

Thanks. I will look it up. For example for Napoleonic wars my favorite is Memoirs of Sgt. Bourgogne because I can feel the cold chill in my bones when I read it as he describes the retreat from Moscow. Little War of Private Post for the USA side Spanish American as the good-natured amateurism is present. Currently reading a spanish infantry one which is quite FTA in attitude.

Still looking for a good British Empire Boer War one. Reitz's diary is great for the Boer side. Something which matches that one liner conclusion in Pakenham's Boer War 'War was dirty, greasy, and sweaty business" or words to that effect where he quotes a participant still alive in the late 60s.
Felix C

Postby Mark » 08 Nov 2017 11:36

Welcome to the forum!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby 95th » 09 Nov 2017 12:39

Hello and welcome to the forum!
95th