Hello from Lincolnshire

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello from Lincolnshire

Postby Chebba » 20 Sep 2017 00:32

I found my father's maternal birth family in March this year, and it has been a spectacular year indeed. After exhausting research I have found that my G Grandfather Francis Morris, 30704, was a Sgt in the 88th Welsh Imperial Yeomanry, sponsored by the Montgomeryshires, spent 1901/2 in the Boer War and was presented with his QSA/clasps by Lord Kitchener at Powys Castle. His father, my G G Grandfather Thomas Morris (74 when my G Gfather was born, though my G G Grandmother at 47 was 27 years younger than her husband!) was born in 1795, joined the Coldstream Guards in 1817, served almost 26 years with them including the last 4 years (1838-42) in Quebec, before being medically discharged with a pension - and had a regimental service number of just 307!! When I went to Ruabon, home of my G Grandfather (sadly killed in a mining accident just 7 months after returning from SA, leaving a wife, 10 children and £10 at the age of just 32) I knocked on the door of a cottage my ancestors had lived in, only to find that they are family descendants, with another relative 6 doors away whose G Grandfather had been the BIL of my G Grandfather, and had served with the 89th Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry, returning earlier than GGF, in late 1901, due to enteric fever - which he survived. His original QSA and MIY Tribute medal are beautifully framed, too. It has been astonishing to find blood family at long last but the bonus of the military history is über-exciting.

Military blood is obviously in us: I served 18 years as a WRAF Officer, my husband retired 4 years ago after 35 years as a Navigator (the youngest flier on the Victor tankers refuelling the Black Buck Vulcan in the Falklands Campaign!); my Grandfather won the MM in WW1 (Oxford and Bucks) and my newly discovered G Grandfather's son, a brother to my father's birth mother, served 4 years with 'the Denbighshires' before joining the Canadian Expeditionary Force as a rider (18th Battalion) in various battles including Ypres. Hubby and I are very keen on military history and have just finished a few years of American Civil War Re-enacting (sad but true!) as it is also a war of particular interest. We were actually at Gettysburg on the day of 9-11.

I have already unearthed a really huge amount about my previously unknown family, and I spend an enormous amount of time pursuing things. The human story is growing and I am bursting with pre-1902 military questions I hope will be answered here. This site looks to be crammed full of amazing people with a vast knowledge of pre-1902 military history. I look forward to interacting with some of you from time to time.

Jo
Chebba

Re: Hello from Lincolnshire

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Sep 2017 08:57

Welcome to the forum, Jo, you will find plenty of similar enthusiasts here.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to New Members