I.d for possible military tunic?

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Re: I.d for possible military tunic?

Postby Frankjersey » 09 Apr 2017 14:08

The person who ha it on ebay had no idea what it was and thought it was a bell hop or theatre coat. Hence the fact I began looking at different jackets n trying to i.d it. I suspected it was something else. And it is tiny so it seems old and from the bygone era lol. Thnks a bunch for your time.
Frankjersey

Postby Frogsmile » 09 Apr 2017 14:23

Don't completely rule out militia, or even yeomanry cavalry 'styled' as dragoon guards. There was a period when boy trumpeters were permitted in the cavalry, albeit in small numbers. That might possibly account for the size if it is especially small.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Frankjersey » 10 Apr 2017 16:33

i dont know. American Militaria is so much more cut and dry. this is my first foray into British Militaria. One more thing of note is the hooks are on the opposite side of every other shell jacket I have seen on the internet. don't know if that matters. but once again thank you for humoring me.
Frankjersey

Postby Frogsmile » 10 Apr 2017 17:37

Frankjersey wrote:i dont know. American Militaria is so much more cut and dry. this is my first foray into British Militaria. One more thing of note is the hooks are on the opposite side of every other shell jacket I have seen on the internet. don't know if that matters. but once again thank you for humoring me.

British militaria is complicated because of the so-called 'regimental system', which can trace its conceptual origins back to feudalism. There is also the fact that Britain has been around a bit longer than the USA. Garments made in British military clothing factories for 'other ranks' (US = 'enlisted men') had the hooks on the right side. Officers' garments however, were always made to order (bespoke) and thus would be made (within certain limits) according to the whim of he that commissioned the item concerned. That might easily extend to making the closure suitable for a left hander, although in general, a uniformity of appearance was required from the point of view of an onlooker.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Frankjersey » 11 Apr 2017 04:45

I tend to look for things that fall through the cracks due to the high price of the more valuable collectibles and for displaying or hanging purposes for me it's pretty cool. All this stuff helps me learn more and more about the items I'm researching. As I've said I grabbed it for only a few bucks. The person didn't know what it was and neither did I but I had a feeling it wasn't just made for decoration. So I googled. Lol. The Victorian stuff id a whole new ball game. Not much cheap stuff comes down the pike.
Frankjersey

Previous

Return to New Members