New Member from Across the Pond

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

New Member from Across the Pond

Postby K9Sparky » 21 Nov 2016 20:31

Ladies and Gentlemen

I am honored to be a part of this forum. As a matter of introduction, I am currently residing in New Jersey, USA, and have an extensive military background. I have served 3 years of Active Duty with the U.S. Army, and have since retired as a Chief Warrant Officer 3 in the United States Navy Reserve. Most of my duties in the USNR were related to Heilicopter Squadron Operations and Physical Security duties.
In future correspondence, I will be seeking information about my Great Great Grandfather who served in the British military, (1870's-1880's), with Scottish Regiments.

Have a great day !

"PJ"
K9Sparky

Re: New Member from Across the Pond

Postby jf42 » 22 Nov 2016 09:29

Welcome, PJ, and good luck.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark » 23 Nov 2016 12:25

Welcome to the forum, PJ!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 23 Nov 2016 19:57

Hi! I'm also living "across the pond", so welcome to the forum. It's a great place!

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Will Mathieson » 24 Nov 2016 05:32

Welcome PJ. My grandfather served in early 1900's with a Scottish regt, the 48th Highlanders.
I served a few years in the Canadian Forces as a gun plumber, from pellet guns to 155mm how. and everything in between that was land.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Redleg56 » 24 Nov 2016 13:50

Hello PJ:

I am also from "across the pond" and right over the state line in New York City.
Spent some time in the US Army.

Hope you enjoy the Forum!

Mike
Redleg56

Postby K9Sparky » 27 Nov 2016 18:32

Thanks for the "Welcome Aboard " !

My search is directed to finding out about my Great Great Grandfather, John Forrest. I believe he was from Glasgow, Scotland and served with the British Army from the 1870's-1880's. I have two photos which I will attempt to edit for future posts.
K9Sparky

Postby K9Sparky » 27 Nov 2016 19:02

I must admit that I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to posting photos or images on specific forums. I have tried to post (2) photos of my GG Grandfather John Forrest. If I have failed, please let me know and I will try again.

Thanks !

John Forrest 2A.jpg
John Forrest 2A.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 778 times
John Forrest 1A.jpg
John Forrest 1A.jpg (122.81 KiB) Viewed 778 times

Any information regarding possible Regiment affiliation would be greatly appreciated.
K9Sparky

Postby Frogsmile » 12 Dec 2016 16:54

Welcome to the forum. I forgot to say earlier that my gut instinct is that John Forrest joined the British equivalent of the US National Guard at some point after his regular service. Formed in 1908, from earlier auxiliary forces, it was known as the 'Territorial Force' (TF) and you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Force

When WW1 broke out the British general officer tasked by the government with expanding the peace time army, Field Marshal Kitchener, was not a fan of the TF, who he saw as Saturday night soldiers. This was unfair, as although they had their share of Walter Mitty characters, there were also some very good men among them. Instead, Kitchener opted to create so-called 'New Armies' of citizen volunteers recruited under local arrangements from clubs, towns, factories, professions, colleges and even sports teams.

Because it took time to mobilise and train these New Armies, the TF was still 'embodied' (i.e. called up),but the problem was that legally they were only committed to home defence, and only about two thirds of them had volunteered to serve overseas. Nevertheless, they were hastily equipped up to full establishment and rushed out to reinforce the by then decimated regular army in France & Flanders. The first TF unit to go into action was the London Scottish at the battle of Loos in 1915.

Many former regulars were members of the TF. Some were still young enough to deploy with their units, but others were too old or infirm and only able to contribute by assisting with training and administration. All-in-all the TF served throughout the war, but most importantly of all 'held the line' by reinforcing the regulars during the important period while the New Armies were being trained and equipped.

Hope that helps.

Frogsmile
Attachments
POSTCARD-MILITARY-BADGES.jpg
POSTCARD-MILITARY-BADGES.jpg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 568 times
01b867f56e57c93b1cd4c8810479bbfd.jpg
01b867f56e57c93b1cd4c8810479bbfd.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 568 times
efb82bd6659e5d74c161c3b91fc226c9.jpg
efb82bd6659e5d74c161c3b91fc226c9.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 570 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 570 times
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 13 Dec 2016 20:23

Hi, Frogsmile!

I'm trying to locate some more info on this gent. Am I gathering from your post that you believe John Forrest (as seen in the photos) was actually in England as late as WWI? Also, any ideas about the type of uniform in the younger photo? I'm trying to narrow down some results on this, but the name is just a bit too common to make it simple. :)

Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Dec 2016 18:54

BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi, Frogsmile!

I'm trying to locate some more info on this gent. Am I gathering from your post that you believe John Forrest (as seen in the photos) was actually in England as late as WWI? Also, any ideas about the type of uniform in the younger photo? I'm trying to narrow down some results on this, but the name is just a bit too common to make it simple. :)

Sarah

It is possible that he was in England in WW1, but you have raised an interesting point Sarah. He might have been in a Canadian unit that styled themselves as Gordon Highlanders, whose uniform would perhaps have been very similar, I do not know.

In the earlier photo he wears a pre-1900 cap, and a pre-1902 tunic of the Scots Guards, but that leaves a large window of late 1880s onward, although early 90s seems more likely given his appearance when comparing the two photos.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 15 Dec 2016 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 15 Dec 2016 14:53

I'm going through a bunch of Army Service records trying to locate any info on this gent. There is one that would appear to be the right age (born 1873) who was born in Edinburgh and joined the Highland Light Infantry at the age of 18 years (March 1891).

There is also a John Forrest (born 1873 in Bengal, India) who joined the Scots Guards from Manchester and served in South Africa. He was discharged (at his own request) in London in 1909. He was the son of Samuel and Susannah Forrest, and Samuel's profession is listed as "Bark Sergt".

There was also an older John Forrest (born c. 1820) who was born in Biggar, Lanark, Scotland, and joined the Scots Guards in Glasgow in February 1841. He served with the SFG at Inkerman, where he suffered a "severe gunshot wound in the right hand . . . (the middle fingers amputated)". He was honorably discharged in March 1855.

John Forrest is not an uncommon name in the Scots Guards, though I'm not coming up with really good results to fit in with the younger photo. There was a man in the regiment by that name who deserted in 1910, but the majority of the John Forrests seem a bit too old.

Will keep looking, but if anyone comes up with any other clues from the photos --- please, post! :)
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Return to New Members