Hello from British West Hartlepool

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Hello from British West Hartlepool

Postby RichieA » 01 Nov 2016 20:45

Hi All,
I have taken the Queen's shilling and decided to sign up. I have always had a broad love of history and associated films, so looking forward to joining in on the postings.

I have also started to research my Grandfathers WW1 Naval records and trying to track his ships and their movements. He was an AB Seaman working on mine sweepers. He was also a stevedore and made a set of towing ropes for the Mulberry Harbour in such a record time the admiralty sent him another batch. It is also alleged he ran off to sign up and join the Boer War as a boy soldier, but the loss of records for this period I cannot confirm this this. But he certainly was a colourful character.

My main unwavering passion is for the Zulu wars and military modelling. Virtually all the modelling I do is from this period and in time I will share some of my work with and my figure range.
cheers
Richie
RichieA

Re: Hello from British West Hartlepool

Postby jf42 » 03 Nov 2016 01:09

Nothing like a family legend to lead you into the exotic jungles of the past. If you have a regiment and a name, the WO 12 muster rolls may help you learn more. Unless you would prefer to leave the legend alone.

Welcome aboard, Richie
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark » 03 Nov 2016 09:37

Welcome to the forum, Richie!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby RichieA » 04 Nov 2016 13:11

Hi jf42 & Mark,
Thank you for the welcome aboard lads.
cheers
Richie
RichieA

Postby grumpy » 05 Nov 2016 17:19

Neither here nor there, but the ONLY time I have heard reference to British West Hartlepool was by an RAF officer c. 1980 .............. the phrase stuck, but he had no idea why it was called that ............. does anyone?
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby privatejones » 12 Nov 2016 17:35

Welcome to the forum.
Billy Fish: He wants to know if you are gods.
Peachy Carnehan: Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing.
privatejones

Return to New Members