30th Regiment of Foot

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

30th Regiment of Foot

Postby SurreySpring » 30 Oct 2016 21:40

Hi

My main research interest is my great-grandfather who served in the 30th Regiment of Foot.
I am fortunate in that I have not only traced his WO363 attestation papers but also have a few yellowed pages of what I think may have been his pay book. This was passed down through the family and is now in my possession.

He attested 23rd May 1964 at Westminster Police Station and served in Canada and India, eventually leaving the army on 3th March 1886 having reached the rank of Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant. He was also in Ireland and the Channel Isles although they would have been counted as UK.

Is there anyone here who knows anything about the 30th Foot? I’m interested in anything that may relate to his service but in particular:

1) He attested in Westminster but was from Bristol. Would it be normal to “sign up” in Bristol and then travel to London for the formalities or would he have been in London under his own steam so to speak?

2) I’m interested in his Channel Islands posting but as its considered to be within the UK I don’t have definitive dates. Would anyone know when they arrived and left? He was married while he was there.

3) Would anyone have any data around whether he would have seen active service during that period?

Many thanks for any help!
SurreySpring

Re: 30th Regiment of Foot

Postby SurreySpring » 31 Oct 2016 22:05

James Giles - this photo has been a combination of "over-painted" and colourised
Attachments
James Giles in uniform.jpg
James Giles in uniform.jpg (240.61 KiB) Viewed 174 times
SurreySpring

Return to New Members