John Gladney

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

John Gladney

Postby django » 27 Mar 2016 20:28

Hello,
Over the past twelve months, I have been researching the above named John Gladney. A friend of mine is a direct descendant. John, was born in Ireland in 1807 and served with the 30th Regiment of Foot from 1825 to 1849. There are extensive records regarding John's army career on the Findmypast website. He served as drummer, bugler, then Bandmaster. He was pensioned out of the Army in 1849. But, he appears to have continued as a Bandmaster in Keffalonia in1851, then, in The Crimea. Indeed, his teenage son was with him at Scutari. The son, also named John, went on to become the celebrated 'Father of Brass Bands. On his return to the U.K. he was appointed Bandmaster to the 3rd London Volunteer Rifles.
What I have been unable to establish is, after leaving the Army, how was he able to continue as a bandsman and who financed his service? Also, no photographs of John exist within the family. If any do exist, where would I find them? I have tried his former regiment but to no avail. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Many Thanks
django

Return to New Members