Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner)

Section for new members to introduce themselves and get tips and advice on how to get the best out of the forum.

Re: Hello from Mark (Forum Administrator & Owner)

Postby Snipper » 17 Oct 2015 19:43

Hi Mark my name is Frank, I am new to the forum and still finding my way around which could take some time at my age as my computer skills are still in their infancy stage, I am requiring help with identifying the uniform of a young soldier from the 1880 _1890s and was rather hoping that someone could offer a little help.as say still finding my way about and as yet have not got to the info on sending a picture. I must say the site looks promising with info on military history and will enjoy searching.
Snipper

Postby DonovanGirl » 19 Oct 2015 17:29

Hello all and thanks Mark for accepting me to your forum. I am researching my great grandfather's time with the South Wales Borderers 1883 - 1895
DonovanGirl

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Oct 2015 14:43

DonovanGirl wrote:Hello all and thanks Mark for accepting me to your forum. I am researching my great grandfather's time with the South Wales Borderers 1883 - 1895

Welcome to the forum, if you post your queries in the relevant section[s] of the forum there are many who will try to help.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby brianseán » 26 Oct 2015 14:26

Hi,

My name is Brian, I live in Ireland and I am researching a relative who was in the British army in the nineteenth century.
brianseán

Postby Mark » 28 Oct 2015 14:47

brianseán wrote:Hi,

My name is Brian, I live in Ireland and I am researching a relative who was in the British army in the nineteenth century.

Welcome to the forum, Brian!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby misterG » 31 Oct 2015 09:15

Hi Mark
Glad to be here , thanks for the Add , I'm interested in all the Victorian Campaigns but much more so the AZW of 1879 and lately the Afghan war of 78-80 .
Regards
misterG
misterG

Postby Mark » 02 Nov 2015 16:22

Welcome to the forum, misterG

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mck » 02 Nov 2015 17:40

Mark wrote:Hello all

Welcome to my Victorian Wars Forum.

My name is Mark, I live in the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom and have an interest in British military history. In particular I am interested in the Victorian era and the South Staffordshire Regiment including the 38th and 80th Regiments of Foot.

If you are new to the Forum please do feel free to introduce yourself in this section.

Regards

Mark

Hello,
My interests will be from this forum, Indian mutiny, Individual soldiers and sailors and the 2nd Boer war.

I'm currently a member of the Great War forum, and reading through some of the posts on this forum it looks just as professional,I look forward to using it.

Best wishes

Mck :D
Mck

Postby Mark » 03 Nov 2015 11:51

Welcome to the forum, Mck!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby ivej » 19 Nov 2015 21:11

Hi my name is Ivan
my interests are old bayonets and interesting stuff
ivej

Postby LisaR » 09 Jan 2016 04:13

Hi,
I'm Lisa. I have an interest in researching various members of my family tree and learning more about what their particular war experience would have been like.

According to my research my great, great grandfather, William Burt, served in the Crimean war and my great grandfather, Joseph Hall, served, I believe, as a drummer boy in the Boer war.

I volunteer at a military museum conserving textiles etc.
LisaR

Postby Justin » 18 Jan 2016 05:58

Hi Mark my names Justin and I live in Adelaide , I collect all sorts of items including military items . I like researching the backgrounds of items as some of the histories are amazing . Justin :D
Justin

Re: registration

Postby Brian Collins » 24 Feb 2016 18:07

Hi. I applied for membership but received no Email to register, I did log in and I did write a post that I put in Draft instead of Post. I cannot find anything to say that I am a Member. and cannot find the draft . Help Regards Brian Collins
Brian Collins

Postby mikeholness » 19 May 2017 14:35

Henry Shelley Tower Keeper Eastbourne small.jpg
Henry Shelley Tower Keeper Eastbourne small.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Hi Mark and all

My interest starts a little earlier with my multi-great grandfather Henry Shelley/Shilly, who rose to Second Corporal in the Royal Sappers & Miners, and became a Chelsea Out-Pensioner in 1816 at the end of the Napoleonic War. He aced it by living through to 1869 and achieving the grand old age of 87.

The relevant issue is that in 1851, then aged 69 he was Tower Keeper of the Eastborne fortification, a role presumably within the Corps of Engineers.

We have a photograph which we are reasonably certain is of him and a grandchild, at about that time - he in a uniform dress. We would value any advice/opinion about identifying the uniform and the badges - as a means of confirming the photo as being of him.

Mike Holness
mikeholness

Postby Mark » 22 May 2017 11:47

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to New Members