Expert/Dealers in Officers Signatures/Documents

Links to other web sites of interest, militaria dealers and related forums.

Expert/Dealers in Officers Signatures/Documents

Postby Will Mathieson » 30 Jul 2012 02:41

I am looking for names or links to professionals that deal in military signatures/documents of the Victorian era.
Some one who specializes in Canadian military papers would be the best fit.
I have several signed documents and other papers such as signed books.
I am looking for previous results at auctions as I am trying to place a reasonable value on them, not wanting to ask exorbitent prices, but on the other hand they are quite valuable, one of a kind, and I don't want to lose my shirt either!
I'm looking for more than one quote, just like a paint job.
Anyone familiar with Canadian military history will immediately recognize names such as Patrick Robertson-Ross, Walter Powell, and A.C. Macdonell, in this case Macdonell ( CO of Strathconas) and (is buried in Kingston) signed Sir Percy Fitzpatricks (Boer War fame) book "Jock of the Bushveld."
A not well recognized name is Captain Sydenham Clitherow McGill, a Captain of the late Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment, signed at Kingston Feb. 1871.
Two British officers, Henry Cooper Reade, Deputy Inspector General of Army Hospitals, and unknown William Mayne a Lieut. Colonel in the Army, in 1871 he was in Germany , Staruberg near Munich, possibly observing the Franco Prussian War?

I can email photos of items for accessing.

Any help with finding more about military signatures is greatly appreciated.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Re: Expert/Dealers in Officers Signatures/Documents

Postby Mark A. Reid » 31 Jul 2012 15:20

Hi Will;

I showed your request to my wife, who runs the Archives at the Canadian War Museum, and she has compiled a list of people who provide valuations for military-related historical documents. Please send me a private message with your email address and I will send it to you. Sorry for the convoluted process but I can't figure out how to simply forward it via the Forum. She asked me to mention that all of these individuals/companies charge for their services.

Good luck!

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 31 Jul 2012 16:30

Thanks Mark, pm sent.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Will Mathieson » 04 Aug 2012 17:10

I have so far contacted three of the most likely dealers on a list given me, the response?
It appears that there is no interest in Canadian military papers signed by high ranks or anyone for that matter.
This furthers my assumption that there is little interest in Canadian history and artifacts.
Our laid back Canadian temperment may be most at fault, just cannot get our history lively and exciting?
Toronto Military Show, the attendance (sometimes under 1000 depending on location and time of year) I think is quite low considering a population of over 5.5 million in the GTA.
I may be straying here, but am looking for an answer to such disinterest in this field (if there even is one) of Canadian militaria.
I know of one person who has good interest, other than me, but that does not create demand.
If they were American documents signed by comperable ranks, the value of them could be in the 10's of 1000'nds of $$.

I will contact more and see what happens, fingers crossed!
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Return to Useful Links