Victorian Royal Marine Records

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

Victorian Royal Marine Records

Postby Owen Ap Benfro » 29 May 2014 08:24

I am trying to find any web location to research Royal Marines (serious ill health and distance exclude my visiting N.A. Kew)
I would like to find out more on the short service life of one Private Marine Peter Mulready who died aboard H.M.S. Revenge and was buried in the Military Cemetery at Pembroke Dock on the 28 January 1868 aged 24 years.
I suspect that Peter came from Ireland and was of the Roman Catholic Faith.
Tks in advance
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
Owen Ap Benfro

Re: Victorian Royal Marine Records

Postby crimea1854 » 29 May 2014 18:57

His record cannot be downloaded, but can be ordered online from the National Archives (link below):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10052369

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Re: Victorian Royal Marine Records

Postby Owen Ap Benfro » 30 May 2014 08:41

crimea1854 wrote:His record cannot be downloaded, but can be ordered online from the National Archives (link below):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10052369

Martin

Martin
Thanks for reply. 2 points, a) why when I spent ages searching that awful N.A. website did this info not show up, and save me wasting your valuable time...... and b) alas I am unable to afford to download this and all similar folio's for my research which currently has over 6,000 entries, the vast majority being from the 19th century (and includes a good number of men from the Crimea).

Still your reply answers my problem and I am grateful for that. Sorry to have taken up your time unnecessarily.

Kind rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
Owen Ap Benfro

Return to The Royal Navy