Hs Richardson? Royal Marine. Need help please.

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

Hs Richardson? Royal Marine. Need help please.

Postby LCpl Lee Cope » 01 Apr 2014 20:12

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

I'm still looking into my family tree and came across an 1861 Census that could help in explaining where my ancestor was between 1851 & 1871.

The name is Pte Hs Richardson, he was born in 1842 Warton, Warwickshire and he's in an 1861 Census as being 19 yrs old and in the Royal Marine Barracks & Infirmary in Woolwich, Kent.

That's about all I can find, but I have read that "Attestation Forms" may have been completed and this could help if it matches up with my ancestor from Warton, Warwickshire.

I'm not very good with "The National Archives" and I keep going around in circles with the site, could anyone help at all please.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lee.
LCpl Lee Cope

Re: Hs Richardson? Royal Marine. Need help please.

Postby LCpl Lee Cope » 01 Apr 2014 20:58

Could a man use an alias name to join the Royal Marines near 1861 and get away with it?
LCpl Lee Cope

Postby crimea1854 » 02 Apr 2014 07:36

This is the closest match that I could find in the National Archives Catalogue. Unfortunately this particular record cannot yet be downloaded, but can still be ordered online and you have to wait a bit for its delivery.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... =C10049440

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby LCpl Lee Cope » 02 Apr 2014 08:55

Thank you so much for the reply and assistance Martin.

I've just requested the document and it should be with me in a few days, it was free too which is always good.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Lee.
LCpl Lee Cope

Postby Frogsmile » 05 Apr 2014 23:45

LCpl Lee Cope wrote:Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

I'm still looking into my family tree and came across an 1861 Census that could help in explaining where my ancestor was between 1851 & 1871.

The name is Pte Hs Richardson, he was born in 1842 Warton, Warwickshire and he's in an 1861 Census as being 19 yrs old and in the Royal Marine Barracks & Infirmary in Woolwich, Kent.

That's about all I can find, but I have read that "Attestation Forms" may have been completed and this could help if it matches up with my ancestor from Warton, Warwickshire.

I'm not very good with "The National Archives" and I keep going around in circles with the site, could anyone help at all please.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lee.

Lee, the old Royal Marine barracks at Woolwich had previously been the Royal Engineers barracks for the London Docks. All that's left of it now is some of the main entrance and offices, the rest was sadly demolished in the late 60s early 70s, even though it was listed as a building of historical interest. It had continued to be used until the end of National Service and then was gradually allowed to rundown. If you are interested you can read all about the Woolwich Garrison, which had once been huge, via this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7757&hilit=+Woolwich
sq
Relic of many a siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The Royal Navy