It is good to be the admiral!

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

It is good to be the admiral!

Postby Jonathan » 08 Feb 2013 21:01

I was just browsing a volume of the Navy and Army Illustrated (1896) and I thought these two images offered a very stark contrast in Navy life.
Attachments
Admiral.jpg
Admiral.jpg (138.2 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Crew.jpg
Crew.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Re: It is good to be the admiral!

Postby Mark A. Reid » 08 Feb 2013 23:17

Hello Jonathan;

Thanks for sharing these two ( very ) contrasting images of Life at Sea. Having said that, I can attest to the fact that there is no more comfortable bed on board ship than a hammock. I pity the poor old flag officer clinging to the side of his bunk in rough seas whilst the Lower Deck snoozes away, gently rocked in the cradle of the deep. Mind, I can't see the admiral on his knees, trouser legs rolled up, scrubbing down his hammock every week!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Jonathan » 08 Feb 2013 23:40

Mark,
I am glad you enjoyed the images. As I mentioned in a recent thread, I am reading Send a Gunboat and realizing that I am missing a huge part of the Victorian military picture by ignoring the RN. I have never slept in a hammock, but I imagine it would be a great way to sleep at sea. Although I would rather lounge in the admiral's quarters! I wonder if that is a working fireplace?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonathan » 09 Feb 2013 07:19

I found a few more that might be of interest:
Attachments
Mess Room HMS Britannia.jpg
Mess Room HMS Britannia.jpg (168.23 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Officer's Mess HMS Bruiser.jpg
Officer's Mess HMS Bruiser.jpg (166.18 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Jack's Four Poster Bed.jpg
Jack's Four Poster Bed.jpg (375.76 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Admiral's Cabin HMS Renown.jpg
Admiral's Cabin HMS Renown.jpg (216.34 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby jersey » 09 Feb 2013 11:00

I can testify to the fact that a bunk on board a warship is the last place one looks to for comfort.
The last warship I served on was all bunk, generally triple tiered and in a roughy more uncomfortable
a place couldn't be found. Even had to strap yourself in, in case you were in danger of getting tossed out.
jersey

Postby Mark A. Reid » 09 Feb 2013 15:54

Hello Jonathan and Jersey;

Great new pictures, and glad you're enjoying SEND A GUNBOAT, a rattling good yarn! If you haven't already read it, I can commend HURRAH FOR THE LIFE OF A SAILOR as a splendid overview of the RN during the Victorian period.

I couldn't agree more about the Victorian RN being the poor cousin compared to the Army, at least in terms of publications and general interest. As a medal collector I never cease to be amazed at how much less naval medals are valued ( appreciated ? ) than their military counterparts, and yet sailors' service records are readily available and easily understood. Researching beyond an individual's service and studying his ships' movements and activities can reveal a fascinating story of international adventure.

Isn't it nice to wake up in a real bed these days!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby jersey » 18 Feb 2013 10:55

Must remember that hammocks had other uses apart from sleeping in. They can be used to temporarily stuff up

holes in the ships side or watertight compartments if these have been damaged by enemy action. A marvellous lot

of photos of the interior of a naval ship and the admirals quarters, he certainly did himself well, even far above

what an officer could expect on board a ship.

David
jersey

Return to The Royal Navy