RN quote or not? "Propellers will be useless"

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

RN quote or not? "Propellers will be useless"

Postby Liz » 02 Jul 2012 03:08

In 1837 Sir William Symonds, Surveyor of the Royal Navy is alleged to have said
Even if the propeller had the power of propelling a vessel, it would be found altogether useless in practice, because the power being applied in the stern it would be absolutely impossible to make the vessel steer.

Can any of our naval or engineering tech buffs confirm where he may have said this, and explain in what context? It sounds rather intriguing :)
Liz
Forum Moderator

Re: RN quote or not? "Propellers will be useless"

Postby The Scorer » 19 Jun 2013 11:01

I'm not a naval or an engineering technical buff, but I googled the phrase and found this:

"Proposal to drive a steamboat by screw-propeller: Sir William Symonds, Surveyor of the British Navy, commented in 1837:

"...even if the propeller had the power of propelling a vessel, it would be found altogether useless in practice, because the power being applied in the stern it would be absolutely impossible to make the vessel steer."

Source: Church, William Conant. The Life of John Ericsson, New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1890. p. 90."

So, it seems that he did say it .... unless anyone knows better!

:)
Last edited by The Scorer on 25 Jun 2013 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
The Scorer

Re: RN quote or not? "Propellers will be useless"

Postby jf42 » 19 Jun 2013 12:13

Naval Argument:

Bald Statement

Flat denial

Personal abuse

Source: MY CCF Sergeant Major (KRRC/2nd RGJ)
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Return to The Royal Navy