Civilian ships used to bring in Crimean reinforcements

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

Civilian ships used to bring in Crimean reinforcements

Postby Swordswoman » 28 Feb 2012 11:31

This is a Crimean-related question, but I'm told this is where the ship experts hang out so I hope it's appropriate to post it here.

I'm trying to decipher the names of three ships that appear in the Digest of the 34th Regiment, all of which playecd a part in bringing reinforcements to the Crimea during November and December 1854. These appear to be a sailing ship called something like 'Gomelga', a steam transport called 'Sidney', and another called either 'Beaudor' or 'Brandor', but I cannot find records of any of these ships and am afraid I may have transcribed them wrong.

Here's a picture of the extract with the names boxed in red, in case they might be recognized by anyone here. I apologize for the quality of the photograph - it was taken in the museum, ie in low light with no flash.

Ship names marked weblarge.jpg
Extract from digest of 34th Regiment of Foot
Ship names marked weblarge.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 2740 times

If anyone has either come across any of these ships or can suggest alternative names I would be extremely grateful. Failing that, could anyone direct me to a good source of ships used in the Crimean theatre so I can try and find out for myself? I have found this site - http://www.pdavis.nl/MidVicShips.php?page=1 - useful in the past, but it doesn't list anything like the names here.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Re: Identifying three ships in 1854

Postby crimea1854 » 28 Feb 2012 15:16

Louise

The navy was unable to supply sufficient troop transports to move the army to the Crimea, so merchant navy ships were hired. As with the Falklands War 30 years ago, P&O used some of their ships i.e. 'Thames' & 'Simla', so your best bet is to look at Lloyds Shipping Registers to see if you can find a match for the names you have.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Swordswoman » 28 Feb 2012 18:06

Thank you so much, Martin - that was a great suggestion. I've found a Gomelza of 514 tons in the 1854 register, and a steamship Brandon in the 1855 (built 1854), which I think is as close as I'll get.

No luck with Sidney so far - the only one listed is a brig of 266 tons, which hardly fits the bill. Perhaps she was Australian? The snag with online searches is that they keep throwing up the famous HMAS Sydney I and II from the 20th century...

Many thanks again for your help. Two out of three is pretty impressive!
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Postby Swordswoman » 28 Feb 2012 18:20

And result!!!

'Sidney' is there too, in the 1855 Register under the modern spelling of 'Sydney' - a steamship of 735 tons.

Thank you, Martin, for introducing me to a great resource.

Louise
Swordswoman
Participating Member

Re: Civilian ships used to bring in Crimean reinforcements

Postby AlBeck » 18 Feb 2014 14:08

I have a copy of family memoir, which reports letters received from a son, that some time in November/early December the Scots Greys, 2nd Dragoon Guards sailed from Portsmouth on "the Brandon, and reached Malta in five days, losing six men from cholera. Four days more brought him to Constantinople." The ship had reached Constantinople by the 6th December and by 8th January they were at Balaclava.

I would be interested in any other information you have discovered re Brandon.
AlBeck

Return to The Royal Navy