Are any crew manifests/lists available? Including officers?

For general discussions on the Royal Navy, including specific ships and bases, during Queen Victoria's reign.

Are any crew manifests/lists available? Including officers?

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 00:27

Fellow forum members,

Due to the random nature of my interests in the Victorian military, I am left with a question that my normally quite good research skills cannot find an answer to with the resources I have to hand… So help please!

With regard to the Royal Navy, does anyone have any detailed breakdown of the crew for any Victorian (1860s plus to end of era) warship, with regards to officers and men – or can provide a reference to such? I do not mean just X officers and Y men, but along the lines of X officers of the military branch; Y officers of the civil branch (actual officer ranks and warrant officers would be a massive amount of icing on the cake); Z men of the deck division (if such was used at the time); Q men as stokers; V, how many marines etc?

I’m enjoying expanding my knowledge into the Victorian RN, but the details in the numbers that makes me able to see how the machine worked is missing from the sources I can find.

I don’t mind having to pay for a book/s, if a reference/s is/are all you can give.

Even a partial answer would help!

I know this stuff was not uniform, but I'd like to get a feel for how a ship ran... Very hard without knowing whom was upon it and for what purpose.

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Re: Are any crew manifests/lists available? Including office

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 01:00

Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 01:20

Thanks Stuart... Thank you you very much :)

I've looked at these before - doh! Not closely enough though. Very useful to me! Okay I'm feeling stupid and I have to laugh. I looked in one drew conclusions on it's layout and never looked again despite knowing the Hart's Annuals well. I just didn't look for ships listings after the rank listings!

Still only partial though as I'm interested in how the enlisted crew broke down too.

Chris (hanging head in shame).

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 01:26

Chris,

I found that I have the Navy Lists for 1835, 1901 and 1904. I am currently uploading them to Mediafire. If you want them I shall continue the upload and post the links. If you don't want them then I shall cancel the upload.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 01:28

Stuart,

I would very much like to see them!

Chris

zerostate

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 01:31

Chris,

here are the links to enable downloading -

http://www.mediafire.com/view/hnbcalozh ... t_1901.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/c07qr1mmx ... chable.pdf

Waiting for the last one.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 01:34

Thanks again Stuart!

zerostate

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 01:37

OK, last one. Hope they are of some help..

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9d2ps1hbt ... t_1904.pdf

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 01:54

Those are great... Now if I could line up a year of the Navy List with a muster of ratings for any given ship... Now that would be gold!

zerostate

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 02:05

Chris,

perhaps these people may be able to help.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/royal.htm

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 02:14

I can't find what I want there. All it does is let me work out the number of ratings unless I am missing something.

zerostate

Postby Stuart_Bates » 08 Jan 2015 02:20

Chris,

I just thought it may be useful to contact them for pointers.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby zerostate » 08 Jan 2015 03:05

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. That might be an idea. :)

zerostate

Postby Maureene » 08 Jan 2015 05:21

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page "Military periodicals online" has links to multiple volumes of the Navy List. The majority are up to 1874, then WW1 and WW2 period, but there are a few in between especially if you live in North America, for the period 1874 to 1891.
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Militar ... #Navy_List

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Frogsmile » 08 Jan 2015 13:51

This site also contains a lot of interesting information with many links: http://www.godfreydykes.info/THE%20ROYA ... %20ONE.htm
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Next

Return to The Royal Navy