The 30th Bengal Native Infantry (BNI)

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

The 30th Bengal Native Infantry (BNI)

Postby jackhodder » 05 Mar 2012 13:48

Hi everyone,

I am currently starting some research into the 30th Bengal Native Infantry (BNI) for an article on the regiment. Does anyone have any information on its history, origins, soldiers, conflicts etc.?

Many thanks,

Jack Hodder
jackhodder

Re: The 30th Bengal Native Infantry (BNI)

Postby Maureene » 05 Mar 2012 14:06

Hi Jack

The FIBIS Fibiwiki has a short article "30th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry"
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=3 ... e_Infantry

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby crimea1854 » 05 Mar 2012 17:33

Hi Jack

Battle honours: Afganistan 1878-80, Chitral, Punjab Frontier, Tirah.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Les Waring » 05 Mar 2012 19:03

During the Rebellion/mutiny of 1857-8, the 30th NI was stationed at Nasirabad( Nusseerabad) in Rajputana, a province not under direct British rule. Most of the local rulers, essentially rajahs,and people remained neutral or actively supported the British.

There were no British troops ('Queen's Regiments') stationed in the region. However, in a few places there were mutinies of regiments of the HEIC army. At Nasirabad, in the Ajmir-Mairwana district, the two garrison regiments, 15th and 30th NI mutinied on 28th May 1857, being followed by a battery of the native artillery and the 1st Bombay Lancers Cavalry. This was 17 days after the original outbreak at Mirath (Meerut).

Two British officers of the Native Regiments were reported as killed by the mutineers and two wounded. However in Tavander (chief source for 'British' casualties) I can only find Lieut. James Campbell of the 15th NI murdered by mutineers at 'Nussseerabad' on 6 May 1857. The majority of officers and NCOs, together with women and children, made their way safely to Biaur, a neighbouring town. The 30th NI, in its original form, thus ceased to exist.

Two officers of the now defunct 30th NI were casualties at Lucknow during the two reliefs of the Residency, having joined up with the British forces, Captain David Scott DODGSON wounded on 26 September 1857 and Captain John Tower LUMSDEN, k-i-a on 16th November. Lieutenant Jonathan CAPE was kia during the final campaign to capture Lucknow on 20 March 1857.

The 30th was reformed under another name in the new British Indian Army following the Mutiny/Rebellion and the removal of power from the HEIC.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best

Les Waring.
Les Waring

Postby acanthus » 05 Mar 2012 21:09

Hi Jack,

Probably more rewarding in terms of actual service as a regiment would be a study of some earlier conflicts before the Mutiny, such as the 2nd Maratha War, the 1st Afghan War and the 1st and 2nd Sikh Wars.

Gordon
acanthus

Postby jackhodder » 08 Mar 2012 13:05

Thanks Guys for all the info.

Confusing thin is that the 30th BNI seems to cease to exist when it mutinied in 1857, yet also was formed in 1857?

I assume this isnt the same regiment?

Regards,

Jack
jackhodder

Postby Maureene » 08 Mar 2012 13:20

Hi Jack

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page "Bengal Infantry Finder" sets out the chronology
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=B ... try_Finder

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby jackhodder » 05 Apr 2012 14:44

Hi All, heres what i have so far. Anything you can add or correct would be much appreciated: -

History - 30th Bengal Native Infantry

The 30th Bengal Native infantry was initially established in 1798 as the 1st Battalion of the 15th BNI following the 1796 reorganisation of the Honourable East India Company regiments. In 1824 the 1st Battalion became the 30th BNI under Major H. F. G. Cooper.

In 1825, the regiment, at 900 strong was stationed in Meerut alongside five Troops of the 11th Light Dragoons and HM’s 59th Regiment of Foot.

Served 2nd Maratha War

The 30th Bengal Native Infantry were deployed to Afghanistan in late 1841 and served with General Pollock’s relief Brigade throughout 1842, during the battle at the entrance to the Khyber Pass and marched with the column to Kabul.
First Sikh War (Sutlej) at Aliwal part of the 3rd Brigade, on the right flank, under the command of Brigadier Wilson alongside HM’s 53rd Foot. The brigade charged the village and was heavily involved in the fighting. The 30th Bengal Native Infantry where praised by Major-General Sir Harry Smith, G.C.B, commanding HM’s forces who explained that they had “nobly obeyed” the orders they had received and had fought in “the most spirited manner”.

During the Second Sikh (Punjab) War the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were part of Brigadier Mountain’s 1st Brigade of the 1st Division at Chillianwalah. They suffered heavy casualties on the 13th January 1849 along with Her Majesty's 24th Foot and the 56th Native Infantry. A total of twenty-six British officers were killed, including two, Captain William Hercules Ross and Ensign Alphonse Charles de Morel, from the 30th Bengal Native Infantry. The regiment also had a further nine officers wounded in action at the battle (the British total was sixty-six wounded). Those injured were, Major Malcolm Edward Loftie, Captains William Charles Campbell, John Morrieson, Collingwood Foster Fenwick and Richard Sheridan Ewart, Lieutenant Henry Swinhoe, Ensigns James Creighton Wood, William Frederick Leicester and Thomas Pierce. The regiments of the 1st Brigade were so entirely disabled that they were compelled to be disjoined from the force and sent back to Ramnuggur and Lahore where troops from those stations moved up to take their place. Her Majesty's 24th and the 26th Bengal Native Infantry lost both their Colours, the 25th and 30th Bengal Native Infantries each lost one.
In Goojerat.....

In May 1857 the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were stationed at Nasirabad, in the Ajmir-Mairwana district of Rajpootana along with the 1st Bombay Lancers, the 15th Bengal Native Infantry and the 2nd Company of the 7th Battalion of Bengal Artillery. On the 28th May 1857, 17 days after the original outbreak at Mirath (Meerut) they mutinied and began marching on Delhi. Two British officers of the above regiments were reported as killed by the mutineers during these engagements, with a further two wounded. However the majority of the officers and NCOs, together with the women and children stationed at Nasirabad, made their way safely to Biaur, a neighbouring town. The 30th Bengal Native Infantry, in its original form, thus ceased to exist. As the mutiny continued, two officers of the now defunct 30th Bengal Native Infantry were casualties at Lucknow during the two reliefs of the residency, having joined up with the British forces, Captain David Scott Dodgson was wounded on the 26th September 1857 and Captain John Tower Lumsden was killed in action on the 16th November. Lieutenant Jonathan Cape was killed in action during the final campaign to capture Lucknow on 20th March 1857. A new regiment was formed during the mutiny by Captain R.O.T. Nicholls at Ludhiana on 10th June 1857, as the 22nd Punjab Infantry. The men were mostly drawn from other infantry and police battalions in the Punjab region and their class composition was Punjabi Muslims, Sikhs and Dogras. It was amongst a host of new regiments which were drafted to replace those which had mutinied and create the new British Indian Army which removed power from the HEIC. For the next two years, the regiment remained engaged in suppressing the rebellion before the regimental colours of the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were recaptured at Keoti, Bundelkhand on 4th March 1859 by the 2nd Sikh Irregular Cavalry (Probyn’s Horse). In 1861 the regiment was re-established as the 22nd Punjab Infantry and in 1864 the regiment was again renamed to the 30th Bengal (Punjab) Native Infantry. The regiment took an active part in the Bhutan War of 1864-66. It formed part of the Left Column and was present at Chumarchi (1st January 1865), the action at the Bala Pass (15th March) and the capture of Nogah stockade (17th March).

Served in the Second Afghan War of 1878-80

Renamed once again to the 30th Bengal (Punjab) Infantry in 1885

The 30th Bengal (Punjab) Infantry served on the Punjab Frontier, in the Chitral Expedition of 1895 and the Tirah Campaign of 1897.

Designated the title of the 30th Punjabis in 1903

During the First World War, the 30th Punjabis served with distinction in the East African Campaign, while their 2nd Battalion, raised in 1918, served in the Palestine Campaign and fought in the Battle of Megiddo. During the war, 30th Punjabis raised two more battalions, which stayed in India. All war-raised battalions were disbanded after the war.

In 1921-22, a major reorganization was undertaken in the British Indian Army leading to the formation of large infantry groups of four to six battalions. The regiment was amalgamated with various others to become the 1st Battalion of the 16th Punjab Regiment in 1922.

In 1947 the 16th Punjab Regiment was allocated to the Pakistani Army, where it continues to exist as 13th Battalion, the Punjab Regiment since 1956.

Phew......

Regards,

Jack
jackhodder

Postby clivepark » 31 May 2012 23:20

Hi Jack,

I have just found this site and wonder if you have completed your article about the 30th Bengal NI. The Malcolm Loftie mentioned in your posting below is my great great grandfather. He, too, is a recent addition to my knowledge about the family and someone I had searched for years to find out about. Having found some basic information I have been able to find a lot more, all from the Internet as there is a lot of information there about the 30th and its campaigns. However, the information about Loftie is not great but it does trace his army career ending in 1859 at Agra where he died "from wounds sustained in the Mutiny". What I have been unable to find is information about his marriage and children, yet I have been able to trace his pedigree back 1000 years! So I still don't have any idea who he married: My information from my mother & cousins is that she died in the Mutiny
I should like to read your article if it is completed and to ask if you have come across anything at all about Loftie other than mentioned below.

Thanks

Cheers

Clive Park
clivepark

Postby jackhodder » 08 Apr 2013 10:54

Hi Clive,

Article is nearly done.... i've been somewhat sidetracked recently.

REgards,

Jack
jackhodder

Postby jackhodder » 08 Apr 2013 10:55

Hi,

Does anyone have any interesting info on any of the officers who served in the 30th Regt Bengal Native Infantry?
(1st Battalion, 15th NI before 1824)

Regards,

Jack
jackhodder

Postby WendyF » 29 Nov 2014 18:08

In the posts below it says the Lt Jonathan Cape died at Lucknow on 20th March 1857. Lt Cape was born in Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, where I now live, and he is commemorated on a family monument in St Helen's churchyard. He did in fact die on 20th March 1858, one day before Lucknow was finally declared free of mutineers apparently. It was also his 19th birthday. If anyone wants to see the monument I can supply a photo.
WendyF

Postby jackhodder » 07 Nov 2015 21:17

Hi WendyF,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a photo you could post?

Regards,

Jack
jackhodder

Postby arslan » 14 Jan 2016 14:30

hi ..
i must admit that it is quite an informative research..can you please throw some light on the badges used by this battalion?
arslan

Postby acanthus » 17 Jan 2016 00:11

In terms of the regimental titles under discussion, I note that the earlier pre mutiny regiment "30th Bengal Native Infantry" did not exist after the mutiny.

Just a little extra information in reference to the various tiles of a new regiment from when it was raised in 1857:

1857 - 22nd Regiment of Punjab Infantry
1861 - 34th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
1861 - 30th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
1864 - 30th (Punjab) Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
1885 - 30th (Punjab) Regiment of Bengal Infantry
1901 - 30th Punjab Infantry
1903 - 30th Punjabis
acanthus

Next

Return to The Army