Hi All, heres what i have so far. Anything you can add or correct would be much appreciated: -
History - 30th Bengal Native Infantry
The 30th Bengal Native infantry was initially established in 1798 as the 1st Battalion of the 15th BNI following the 1796 reorganisation of the Honourable East India Company regiments. In 1824 the 1st Battalion became the 30th BNI under Major H. F. G. Cooper.
In 1825, the regiment, at 900 strong was stationed in Meerut alongside five Troops of the 11th Light Dragoons and HM’s 59th Regiment of Foot.
Served 2nd Maratha War
The 30th Bengal Native Infantry were deployed to Afghanistan in late 1841 and served with General Pollock’s relief Brigade throughout 1842, during the battle at the entrance to the Khyber Pass and marched with the column to Kabul.
First Sikh War (Sutlej) at Aliwal part of the 3rd Brigade, on the right flank, under the command of Brigadier Wilson alongside HM’s 53rd Foot. The brigade charged the village and was heavily involved in the fighting. The 30th Bengal Native Infantry where praised by Major-General Sir Harry Smith, G.C.B, commanding HM’s forces who explained that they had “nobly obeyed” the orders they had received and had fought in “the most spirited manner”.
During the Second Sikh (Punjab) War the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were part of Brigadier Mountain’s 1st Brigade of the 1st Division at Chillianwalah. They suffered heavy casualties on the 13th January 1849 along with Her Majesty's 24th Foot and the 56th Native Infantry. A total of twenty-six British officers were killed, including two, Captain William Hercules Ross and Ensign Alphonse Charles de Morel, from the 30th Bengal Native Infantry. The regiment also had a further nine officers wounded in action at the battle (the British total was sixty-six wounded). Those injured were, Major Malcolm Edward Loftie, Captains William Charles Campbell, John Morrieson, Collingwood Foster Fenwick and Richard Sheridan Ewart, Lieutenant Henry Swinhoe, Ensigns James Creighton Wood, William Frederick Leicester and Thomas Pierce. The regiments of the 1st Brigade were so entirely disabled that they were compelled to be disjoined from the force and sent back to Ramnuggur and Lahore where troops from those stations moved up to take their place. Her Majesty's 24th and the 26th Bengal Native Infantry lost both their Colours, the 25th and 30th Bengal Native Infantries each lost one.
In May 1857 the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were stationed at Nasirabad, in the Ajmir-Mairwana district of Rajpootana along with the 1st Bombay Lancers, the 15th Bengal Native Infantry and the 2nd Company of the 7th Battalion of Bengal Artillery. On the 28th May 1857, 17 days after the original outbreak at Mirath (Meerut) they mutinied and began marching on Delhi. Two British officers of the above regiments were reported as killed by the mutineers during these engagements, with a further two wounded. However the majority of the officers and NCOs, together with the women and children stationed at Nasirabad, made their way safely to Biaur, a neighbouring town. The 30th Bengal Native Infantry, in its original form, thus ceased to exist. As the mutiny continued, two officers of the now defunct 30th Bengal Native Infantry were casualties at Lucknow during the two reliefs of the residency, having joined up with the British forces, Captain David Scott Dodgson was wounded on the 26th September 1857 and Captain John Tower Lumsden was killed in action on the 16th November. Lieutenant Jonathan Cape was killed in action during the final campaign to capture Lucknow on 20th March 1857. A new regiment was formed during the mutiny by Captain R.O.T. Nicholls at Ludhiana on 10th June 1857, as the 22nd Punjab Infantry. The men were mostly drawn from other infantry and police battalions in the Punjab region and their class composition was Punjabi Muslims, Sikhs and Dogras. It was amongst a host of new regiments which were drafted to replace those which had mutinied and create the new British Indian Army which removed power from the HEIC. For the next two years, the regiment remained engaged in suppressing the rebellion before the regimental colours of the 30th Bengal Native Infantry were recaptured at Keoti, Bundelkhand on 4th March 1859 by the 2nd Sikh Irregular Cavalry (Probyn’s Horse). In 1861 the regiment was re-established as the 22nd Punjab Infantry and in 1864 the regiment was again renamed to the 30th Bengal (Punjab) Native Infantry. The regiment took an active part in the Bhutan War of 1864-66. It formed part of the Left Column and was present at Chumarchi (1st January 1865), the action at the Bala Pass (15th March) and the capture of Nogah stockade (17th March).
Served in the Second Afghan War of 1878-80
Renamed once again to the 30th Bengal (Punjab) Infantry in 1885
The 30th Bengal (Punjab) Infantry served on the Punjab Frontier, in the Chitral Expedition of 1895 and the Tirah Campaign of 1897.
Designated the title of the 30th Punjabis in 1903
During the First World War, the 30th Punjabis served with distinction in the East African Campaign, while their 2nd Battalion, raised in 1918, served in the Palestine Campaign and fought in the Battle of Megiddo. During the war, 30th Punjabis raised two more battalions, which stayed in India. All war-raised battalions were disbanded after the war.
In 1921-22, a major reorganization was undertaken in the British Indian Army leading to the formation of large infantry groups of four to six battalions. The regiment was amalgamated with various others to become the 1st Battalion of the 16th Punjab Regiment in 1922.
In 1947 the 16th Punjab Regiment was allocated to the Pakistani Army, where it continues to exist as 13th Battalion, the Punjab Regiment since 1956.