Location of Household Cavalry Armoury in 1898?

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Location of Household Cavalry Armoury in 1898?

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Mar 2017 11:49

I am hoping that forum member Tabony might be able to pinpoint the location of the armourer's workshop in the enclosed photo, which I believe shows a Household Cavalry Armourer Corporal Major. The two 'tells' are the 1905 pattern cap with no badge (the Household Cavalry did not at first wear a badge) and the Russia braid rank stripes on his jacket.

The age of the building, going by its ivy clad exterior, makes me wonder if it is Windsor or Hounslow. Can anyone help with a definite location?

Footnote: I have quoted a date of 1898 purely because that is what it says on the photo, but that cannot be correct as the forage cap shown did not appear on the scene until 1905.
Attachments
thumbnail_user4317_pic80091_1353781193.jpg
thumbnail_user4317_pic80091_1353781193.jpg (57.17 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: Location of Household Cavalry Armoury in 1898?

Postby Mark A. Reid » 14 Mar 2017 13:09

An intriguing photo. From a medallic point of view, if I stand on one foot and squint, I can just make out his ribbon bar which, I believe, consists of a Queen's South Africa Medal, a King's South Africa Medal and a third medal, probably a long service medal. This would certainly support your assumption that the photo was taken in the early 20th century. To be honest, the medal ribbons are quite indistinct but the white area in the middle is a clear indication that it is a South African pair.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Mar 2017 13:32

Mark A. Reid wrote:An intriguing photo. From a medallic point of view, if I stand on one foot and squint, I can just make out his ribbon bar which, I believe, consists of a Queen's South Africa Medal, a King's South Africa Medal and a third medal, probably a long service medal. This would certainly support your assumption that the photo was taken in the early 20th century. To be honest, the medal ribbons are quite indistinct but the white area in the middle is a clear indication that it is a South African pair.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you Mark, that helps to confirm a likely date for the photo.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby grumpy » 14 Mar 2017 15:47

Nice one. His hammer and pincers badge seems smaller than the norm, does it not? Even the crown seems small too.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 14 Mar 2017 16:47

grumpy wrote:Nice one. His hammer and pincers badge seems smaller than the norm, does it not? Even the crown seems small too.

Yes, they both seem especially small. I am hoping that Tabony (Martin) can throw some light on it. I am guessing that the badges, seemingly metal, are a peculiar, Household Cavalry pattern.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby tabony » 16 Mar 2017 02:39

It's not easy to find pictures of the working blocks, but I think the shape of the doorway looks like Regent's Park Barracks. Although I can't find ivy anywhere.
As too the badges, I'm trying to find the reference but I remember reading that one of the Life Guards wore smaller crowns in order to differentiate from the other in working dress, were trousers were often worn without stripes.

Martin
Attachments
Knightsbride.jpg
Knightsbride.jpg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Combermere.jpg
Combermere.jpg (140.93 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Regent's Park.jpg
Regent's Park.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Regents Park.jpg
Regents Park.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 102 times
tabony
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Mar 2017 10:38

Thank you Martin, I was hoping that the ivy would have made the location instantly identifiable, but of course it can just as easily 'camouflage' things. Given the immediate surroundings at each barracks and considering the time period, if pushed which barracks would you guess as most likely to have an ivy clad armoury building in comparison with all other HC barracks? Perhaps you have already answered that when you said Regents Park. Any further info regarding the small badges gratefully received. I imagine that they would have had to be specially made as it seems unlikely that they came from the Ordnance supply chain.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The Army