Officer Ranks above Lt.-Col.

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Officer Ranks above Lt.-Col.

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 04 Mar 2017 19:18

Hi! I know that I was reading about this on here somewhere and cannot find the thread again. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm trying to understand how it works for an officer who is promoted above Lt.-Col. Whatever I was reading had explained that, through the rank of Lt.-Col., an officer is attached to a regiment. Once he is made Colonel or above, he is an officer of the Army and not in a particular regiment. Is there proper terminology for distinguishing the officers of the Army?

Thanks!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Re: Officer Ranks above Lt.-Col.

Postby Frogsmile » 04 Mar 2017 22:44

BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi! I know that I was reading about this on here somewhere and cannot find the thread again. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm trying to understand how it works for an officer who is promoted above Lt.-Col. Whatever I was reading had explained that, through the rank of Lt.-Col., an officer is attached to a regiment. Once he is made Colonel or above, he is an officer of the Army and not in a particular regiment. Is there proper terminology for distinguishing the officers of the Army?

Thanks!
Sarah

Hello Sarah,
I think that you are referring to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11546

Let me know if you need anything else.

FS
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 04 Mar 2017 22:53

Frogsmile wrote:
BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi! I know that I was reading about this on here somewhere and cannot find the thread again. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm trying to understand how it works for an officer who is promoted above Lt.-Col. Whatever I was reading had explained that, through the rank of Lt.-Col., an officer is attached to a regiment. Once he is made Colonel or above, he is an officer of the Army and not in a particular regiment. Is there proper terminology for distinguishing the officers of the Army?

Thanks!
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

FS

You're brilliant! That's it!! :)
Thanks.
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Frogsmile » 04 Mar 2017 23:09

BingandNelsonFan wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:

Thanks!
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

FS

You're brilliant! That's it!! :)
Thanks.

There were two terms for officers of ranks administered at army level (i.e. above regimental duty) Sarah:

1. Officers of staff rank (Colonel).
2. Officers of general rank (Brigadier General and above).
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 04 Mar 2017 23:57

Frogsmile wrote:There were two terms for officers of ranks administered at army level (i.e. above regimental duty) Sarah:

Exactly what I needed to know. I'm sitting here writing an article about one of my soldiers, and I don't want to sound ignorant. :)
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Frogsmile » 05 Mar 2017 00:15

BingandNelsonFan wrote:
Frogsmile wrote:There were two terms for officers of ranks administered at army level (i.e. above regimental duty) Sarah:

Exactly what I needed to know. I'm sitting here writing an article about one of my soldiers, and I don't want to sound ignorant. :)

You are far from ignorant Sarah. Your knowledge has come on leaps and bounds, as is noticeable from what you write.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 10 Mar 2017 13:23

Many thanks! (blush) Hope you will enjoy the page, which is very near completion now. :)
BingandNelsonFan

Return to The Army