Maker

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Maker

Postby nicklepops » 28 Feb 2017 17:42

Hello there - long time no post!
Probably an easy question.
Can anyone tell me what "Maker" was/is and about it. I guess it was a barrack or training camp? My grandfather refers to it in a letter written from Amballa in late December 1904 after he had come out of Tibet with the Younghusband Expedition. He was at the time a Lieutenant in the 7th Mountain Battery RGA.

Thanks, Nick
nicklepops

Re: Maker

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Feb 2017 20:38

Nick, it would help if you could give a bit more contextual information. Was it implied that "Maker" was in India? How did he come to mention that place?
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby nicklepops » 01 Mar 2017 00:27

Thank you for the reply. I don't think that further contextual information would help in this instant as he mentions only that he was off that evening to a dinner at the Birch's and that he (the father) was a Lt. Col. RA and the family know all his old friends at Maker.
My best guess is Maker near Rame Head near Plymouth. There is a Hawkins, Grenville and Maker Battery there. He was possibly there with 30 Company Western Division R.G.A.?? Any more info about these would be gratefully received.
Nick
nicklepops

Postby Frogsmile » 01 Mar 2017 00:34

nicklepops wrote:Thank you for the reply. I don't think that further contextual information would help in this instant as he mentions only that he was off that evening to a dinner at the Birch's and that he (the father) was a Lt. Col. RA and the family know all his old friends at Maker.
My best guess is Maker near Rame Head near Plymouth. There is a Hawkins, Grenville and Maker Battery there. He was possibly there with 30 Company Western Division R.G.A.?? Any more info about these would be gratefully received.
Nick

Now that context has made all the difference, as you have put Maker in a context in Britain! I knew I had heard of it before but could not place it at first. It is indeed a coastal battery manned by RGA and I posted some detail about it not that long ago, I think in connection with forum member Susan Cammas, but I will check.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby nicklepops » 01 Mar 2017 00:36

Thank you. I will look again in the morning.
Nick
nicklepops

Postby Frogsmile » 01 Mar 2017 00:41

nicklepops wrote:Thank you. I will look again in the morning.
Nick

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11552
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby nicklepops » 01 Mar 2017 11:18

Frogsmile - Thank you for the link which answers all I need, and thank you for your help.
nicklepops

Postby Frogsmile » 01 Mar 2017 12:27

nicklepops wrote:Frogsmile - Thank you for the link which answers all I need, and thank you for your help.

Glad to help, Nick. It was interesting to research about the Maker redoubts and it painted a real picture of what life must have been like there at a time when Britain saw itself as being in a proto-Cold War with a resurgent and belligerent France, complete with a proto-Arms Race to boot.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to The Army