Brunswick bayonet help!

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Re: Brunswick bayonet help!

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 21 Feb 2017 06:52

paul and all......

I think it was a field or armory altering within the British Empire sphere. I think that this alteration was to fit a Brunswick with a different bayo bar, or to fit an old Baker rifle, or to fit the post Indian Mutiny issue of the basturd Brunswick rifles to Sikh units.
The Sikh guns were put trogether with parts of old Brunswicks, and lock plates from 1853 Enfields. This was done in India, probably, and who knows what was done to wood fore ends that were maybe oversized, or not so official bayo lugs. As you can see from my first image post, there exists another Brunswick bayo with the milled down handle.

I am working on the assumption that this was an inside job, (read that British Empire). This could be an attempt by constabulary forces to get matching bayonets on mismatched bayonet lugs. This was an attempt to "re-purpose" these bayonets to other Empire units or police.

BTW, The numbers and letter on your gun, will probably never be deciphered. The books on markings are incomplete, and it appears there may not have been a regulation as to how the markings were applied and meaning of such marks.

My whole theory is speculation. That is an old milling of your bayonet handle with a worn stamping over the milled area. That milling was not done by a re-enactor six years ago, so he could attach the bayonet to his Martini and run around his living room yelling "I am Private Hook" while watching "Zulu" on the tele!

Also, my research states that most volunteer bayonets have no maker marks so they were probably made by many makers in England and probably Belgium. The hilts, blades, buttons, and dimension were all slightly different from official marked bayonets.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby timeout » 21 Feb 2017 17:55

Now tell me what are you doing watching Zulu!!!!!

I am just away again and will be back Thursday, I feel I have had great help from this forum, and if you dont mind when I get back I would like to post another bayonet I can not sort out! Many thank to you all, it just shows you cant get it all from books......paul.
timeout

Postby timeout » 27 Feb 2017 00:17

I was asked for some extra pics of the button etc etc... I have taken them but can not seem to upload them to the site can someone tell me how to do it please!!!!!
timeout

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 27 Feb 2017 21:57

Well paul....I wish I could help you with your plea. I have not yet learned to post images. But there are some instruction here in the forum.

So good luck, and to quote the motion picture "Zulu", "Well chin chin. Do carry on with your mud pie".

Look at this....a Brunswick bayo bar on a Snider!!!!!

https://joesalter.ca/products/snider-sh ... ayonet-lug
ED, in Los Angeles

Previous

Return to The Army