Who was the youngest Lt.-Col. in 1916?

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Who was the youngest Lt.-Col. in 1916?

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 15 Dec 2016 00:15

Hi! I recently purchased a 1916 copy of General Sir George Wentworth Higginson's autobiography "Seventy-One Years of a Guardsman's Life". As it turns out, there is a very nice inscription dated November 1916 on one of the first pages. It reads as follows (photo of inscription included below):
Senior, Electae dominae,
quam ego diligo in revitate,
[The Elder to the Elect Lady, whom I love in the Truth]
This record of trench-warfare 60 years ago
by our oldest General
to be compared with that of today
by our youngest Lt. Colonel
J.E.C.B.

I would love to know who this book was given to, so I'm hoping that someone may have an idea as to who the youngest Lt.-Colonel would have been. Higginson was a Grenadier Guard, so it could be members of his regiment or of the army in general --- as he was, literally, Britain's oldest Army General at the time.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sarah
Attachments
Guardsman's Life Inscription.JPG
Guardsman's Life Inscription.JPG (44.87 KiB) Viewed 180 times
BingandNelsonFan

Re: Who was the youngest Lt.-Col. in 1916?

Postby Maureene » 17 Dec 2016 03:23

Perhaps someone on the Great War Forum might know.
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
You would need to register first if you are not a member.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby jf42 » 17 Dec 2016 10:26

In November 1916, the fact of who was the youngest Lieutenant Colonel in the army might be changing almost daily.

With all the complications of acting, temporary and brevet rank, as men were appointed to command jobs while respecting the hierarchy of seniority in the Regulars, it would be especially difficult to ascertain.

The best bet would be to start with the Grenadier Guards. Even so all the above would apply. November 1916 saw the last stages of the fighting on the Somme.

It is possible the reference in the inscription was intended to be more figurative than factual.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Rural53 » 19 Dec 2016 00:59

This may not refer to the youngest Lt Colonel in the army or a particular regiment at the time. The use of "our youngest Lt Colonel" may imply it is a gift from a young Lt Colonel to his (retired) General grandfather in a large military family.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 05 Jan 2017 15:07

Thanks for the thoughts. Probably right, but it would have been very neat to find out who had this. :) I got it from a seller in California, so it obviously has come a long way in the past 100 years.
BingandNelsonFan

Return to The Army