UK Depots

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

UK Depots

Postby cr1tical » 17 Nov 2016 11:37

What was the situation generally regarding regimental depots in the early 1800s. I have seen more than one reference to "then
established the depot at.....) in looking at early historical records which suggests that depots were not permanent . I am not aiming at any particular regiment here.

:?:
cr1tical

Re: UK Depots

Postby Frogsmile » 17 Nov 2016 14:43

cr1tical wrote:What was the situation generally regarding regimental depots in the early 1800s. I have seen more than one reference to "then
established the depot at.....) in looking at early historical records which suggests that depots were not permanent . I am not aiming at any particular regiment here.

:?:

Depots moved every two years, occasionally less. The barracks accommodation did not need to be large as the depot constituted only a company strength with a few additional officers and drummers. Here is a list of locations over the period that you are interested in: http://www.napoleon-series.org/military ... epots.html
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Re: UK Depots

Postby cr1tical » 20 Nov 2016 19:37

Frogsmile

Thank you, just what I wanted, most grateful.
cr1tical

Return to The Army