British officers in Italy (Major General William Earle?)

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Re: British officers in Italy (Major General William Earle?)

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 24 Oct 2016 17:52

I cannot believe this, but I was just going through some things that I've been researching for the last couple of months. I've got scans of a collection of Victorian-era albums and am getting them ready to go online. A couple of the albums were put together by a young Captain in the Grenadier Guards who served in Canada in the early 1860s. Well, I was just going over that and realized that the Captain and Lt.-Col. William Earle in some of the photos is the same man in your photo. I never put two-and-two together on this one!

I'm posting the photos here. If you'd like to see larger versions of any, just send a PM to me. :)
Sarah
Attachments
Earle Grenadier Guards 4.JPG
Earle Grenadier Guards 4.JPG (26.96 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Earle Grenadier Guards 3.JPG
Earle Grenadier Guards 3.JPG (45.65 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Earle Grenadier Guards 2.jpg
Earle Grenadier Guards 2.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Earle Grenadier Guards 1.jpg
Earle Grenadier Guards 1.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 133 times
BingandNelsonFan

Postby valdinocis » 25 Oct 2016 21:57

Hi Sarah!
Thank you for link to the biography! I read he was promoted Major-General on 31 October 1880 so now I can date my photograph between that year and 1884.

BingandNelsonFan wrote:I cannot believe this, but I was just going through some things that I've been researching for the last couple of months. I've got scans of a collection of Victorian-era albums and am getting them ready to go online. A couple of the albums were put together by a young Captain in the Grenadier Guards who served in Canada in the early 1860s. Well, I was just going over that and realized that the Captain and Lt.-Col. William Earle in some of the photos is the same man in your photo. I never put two-and-two together on this one!

I'm posting the photos here. If you'd like to see larger versions of any, just send a PM to me. :)
Sarah

About the photographs you sent me I can only say… Wow!!! What a great find! They are amazing!
I love 1860s photographs, especially those with military subject.
I would be very happy if could send me a larger version! :)
May I ask you if you own the originals or only the scans? May I also ask you on what site do you usually post old photographs? Are you a Flickr member?

Sonny
valdinocis

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 26 Oct 2016 13:12

Hi!

Larger versions will be coming to you shortly. :)
I only have the scans, but all of the photos are part of a large collection that will be posted on my site here:
http://www.eliotsofporteliot.com/

Right now, though, I'm working on getting photos identified and cropped for the webpage. Hoping to get everything up throughout the next winter months!

Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby valdinocis » 29 Oct 2016 11:16

BingandNelsonFan wrote:Hi!

Larger versions will be coming to you shortly. :)
I only have the scans, but all of the photos are part of a large collection that will be posted on my site here:
http://www.eliotsofporteliot.com/

Right now, though, I'm working on getting photos identified and cropped for the webpage. Hoping to get everything up throughout the next winter months!

Sarah

Hi!

Thank you very much! :) I took a look to your site, it’s very interesting! :)

Sonny
valdinocis

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 29 Oct 2016 13:54

valdinocis wrote:Hi! Thank you very much! :) I took a look to your site, it’s very interesting! :)

Sonny

Hi! I will send the large photos to you, but I need your e-mail address. Just send a note with it, and I'll be happy to send all of them.

Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby valdinocis » 29 Oct 2016 17:02

Hi!
My e-mail address is valdinocis@yahoo.it :)

Sonny
valdinocis

Previous

Return to The Army