The Scottish Rifles

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

The Scottish Rifles

Postby researchingreg » 29 Jun 2016 12:30

A family member Pte Stephen Dennett born 1865 in Romsey, Hampshire, served for 12 Years in the Scottish Rifles (which according to Wikipedia is the 2nd Bn Cameronians) from 1883 to 25 Feb 1895. He then re-joined the Army attesting on 9 May 1900 in the Royal Rifles Reserve Regiment, which I think were based in Parkhurst Isle of Wight He served until 8 May 1901 in the Rank of L/Cpl service number 1727. He later re-joined the Army in WW1 (the Hampshire Regiment 19 Dec 1914). But I am interested in his Victorian army service period. Can anybody give me any info on what he did in the Army?
researchingreg

Re: The Scottish Rifles

Postby jf42 » 29 Jun 2016 15:52

Reg- technically 'The Scottish Rifles' was simply the subtitle of the Cameronians (The Scottish RIfles) a regiment formed in 1881 from the redesignation of the 26th (The Cameronian) Regiment and the 90th Regiment (Perthshire Volunteers) (Light Infantry) as 1st and 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians (The Scottish RIfles).

it is true to say, however that the two battalions conducted themselves as much as possible as if the yoking of their two regiments had not taken place and that the 2nd Battalion referred to themselves as the Scottish RIfles well into the 20th century.

That does not necessarily mean conclusively that your forbear served in the 2nd Battalion, but it is a starting point. It would depend in part on the source for you information.

According to this archived site
http://web.archive.org/web/200712191501 ... /090-1.htm

The 90th had just arrived in India when the 1881 amalgamation took place. They returned to England in 1895. That might be when your forbear took his discharge.

1881 India: Bengal
1881.07.01 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
<1885> Cawnpore
<1889> Rhaniket
<1892 Jubbulpore
1895 England

Information on the 1st Battalion, the former 26th can be found here.
http://web.archive.org/web/200801021511 ... 26-688.htm

Hope that helps get you started.

When you refer to the Royal Rifles, do you mean the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC)? If you can find a number for the battalion that will help you. This page lists the various Volunteer and Reserve battalions incorporated in or affilliated to the KRRC in the years following the 1881 reforms:
http://web.archive.org/web/200801230449 ... 60KRRC.htm

The KRRC was mainy associated with the London area but the Isle of Wight location you mention may have something to do with the organisiation of auxiliary troops during the Boer War. Given your man's enlisting in the Hampshire Regiment in 1914, there would seem to be a local connection.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby researchingreg » 29 Jun 2016 16:27

jf42 wrote:Reg- technically 'The Scottish Rifles' was simply the subtitle of the Cameronians (The Scottish RIfles) a regiment formed in 1881 from the redesignation of the 26th (The Cameronian) Regiment and the 90th Regiment (Perthshire Volunteers) (Light Infantry) as 1st and 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians (The Scottish RIfles).

it is true to say, however that the two battalions conducted themselves as much as possible as if the yoking of their two regiments had not taken place and that the 2nd Battalion referred to themselves as the Scottish RIfles well into the 20th century.

That does not necessarily mean conclusively that your forbear served in the 2nd Battalion, but it is a starting point. It would depend in part on the source for you information.

According to this archived site
http://web.archive.org/web/200712191501 ... /090-1.htm

The 90th had just arrived in India when the 1881 amalgamation took place. They returned to England in 1895. That might be when your forbear took his discharge.

1881 India: Bengal
1881.07.01 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
<1885> Cawnpore
<1889> Rhaniket
<1892 Jubbulpore
1895 England
Information on the 1st Battalion, the former 26th can be found here.
http://web.archive.org/web/200801021511 ... 26-688.htm

Hope that helps get you started.

When you refer to the Royal Rifles, do you mean the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC)? If you can find a number for the battalion that will help you. This page lists the various Volunteer and Reserve battalions incorporated in or affilliated to the KRRC in the years following the 1881 reforms:
http://web.archive.org/web/200801230449 ... 60KRRC.htm

The KRRC was mainy associated with the London area but the Isle of Wight location you mention may have something to do with the organisiation of auxiliary troops during the Boer War. Given your man's enlisting in the Hampshire Regiment in 1914, there would seem to be a local connection.

My information is on his Army Pension Record, which shows he was with the Scottish Rifles (no Bn mentioned) for 12years being discharged in Feb 1895, he then served one year 1900-1901 in the RRRR, and he appears on the 1901 census as a soldier at Parkhurst Barracks Isle of Wight. There is a letter in the Army Pensions Record for him, I assume is a reference showing "....Certified that No.1727 L/Cpl S Dennett had no entry ......Regimental of Court Martial sheet during the period of service in the Royal Rifle Reserve Regiment Parkhurst I of W 25.4.01 signed (unreadable signature) Capt 2nd Bn Roy,Rif,Res,Reg......"

No mention of KRRC
researchingreg

Postby jf42 » 29 Jun 2016 18:27

My guess is that 'Royal Rifle' is a contraction of King's Royal Rifle Corps; perhaps a hasty entry by an officer- or clerk- with a mound of paperwork to complete. IIRC, 'Royal Rifles' was an abreviated form use by members of the regiment. There certainly was no regular regiment which bore that name as its official title.

As for the 'Reserve' element of that entry, the process whereby Volunteer and Militia battalions were activated to supplement the Regulars at the time of the Boer war, and the ad hoc units composed from Reservist, VB and MB personnel, is not a subject of which I can claim any great knowledge but, as a soldier discharged in 1895, I believe your forbear would have had a reservist obligation and I suspect this will explain the nature of his service in 1900-01.

His service number "1727 "may contain clues, but again that is a subject of which I know nothing.

An enquiry to the Royal Green Jackets museum in Winchester might clarify matters.

There are members of the forum with detailed knowledge of the Reserve, Volunteers, Militia etc, and and their role in the Boer War. If you post a new query with "Royal Rifles Reserve Regiment 1900-01" in the title, you might attract their attention.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby researchingreg » 30 Jun 2016 11:12

Jf42

Thanks for the information. I will do a new post.
researchingreg

Return to The Army