Short Service Terms

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Short Service Terms

Postby Derbys » 17 May 2016 11:51

Great grandad joined the Army in Feb 1881, enlisting for 6 years with the colours and 6 years in the reserves. In 1883 he was 'permitted to extend his service to 9 years with the colours' then in late 1886 he was 'permitted to extend his service to 12 years with the colours'. He married on 1st Jan 1890 and was transferred to the reserve in March 1890 - therefore not actually completing 12 years with the colours. I was wondering under what circumstances you would be transferred to the reserve ahead of completing your time with the colours - could he have requested early release due to getting married ? Thanks. Chris
Derbys
Participating Member

Re: Short Service Terms

Postby rclpillinger » 22 May 2016 22:08

Hello Chris,

I notice that you have not had a reply to your enquiry yet, and so, not being an expert on this subject by any means, I wonder if I can draw your attention to my website, http://www.majorpillinger.com

My attention was drawn to a booklet called a Cavalry Roll Book which was being sold on eBay, and was written by my Grandfather. Having researched his career with the Tenth Royal Hussars for some six years or so I knew nothing about this booklet, and I bought it.

This is volume 33, dated 1889, and belonged to a Dragoon, indicating it was extensively used. Over 43 pages in the preface it details most of the current regulations and covers service periods on page 14.

Have a look, and I hope it helps.

http://majorpillinger.com/cavalry_roll_book/

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby grumpy » 22 May 2016 23:58

Very difficult to give a definitive answer without a lot of research because the army juggled active strength versus reserve strength continuously by using several levers.

These included

early voluntary moving to the reserve.

voluntary extension of service, usually with a modest cash incentive

voluntary extension in some specific arms of service and in some specific postings, primarily India.

changing the terms of service for new enlistments.

There was also a permanent buffer mechanism whereby a soldier could be required to serve up to an extra year overseas depending on troopship availability, or war.
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Derbys » 23 May 2016 17:09

Hello Richard and Grumpy, many thanks for the responses and advice. Looking at Richard's link, I think he extended his derive after 3years which matches with the dates he joined earky 1882 and then extended his service in 1885. I think Grumpy has identified that he was allowed to volunteer to enter the reserve early, and I inclined to think this was due to his marriage. It has crossed my mind whether this was easier to achieve as he was serving in a Depot Company at home and not with the Service Companies in India at that time. Just interesting to speculate. Thanks again.
Derbys
Participating Member

Return to The Army