Women of the Regiment book by Myna Trustram

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Women of the Regiment book by Myna Trustram

Postby susancammas » 14 Mar 2016 20:22

Good evening from France

I am looking for a second hand copy of Women of the Regiment by Myna Trustram.
Does any member have a copy they would sell?

Kind regards
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Re: Women of the Regiment book by Myna Trustram

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 17 Mar 2016 03:15

Go to abebooks.com or Amazon...There is a whole bunch of them from the UK and US just waiting for your paypal transaction.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby susancammas » 17 Mar 2016 16:40

Thanks Ed - I read your message about 1 hour too late! I had just ordered a copy from Amazon France.
Not an easy book to find at a reasonable price - goodness knows why.
It seems to be more readily available in the US than in the UK although it's a Cambridge University Press book.

Kind regards
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby susancammas » 06 May 2016 18:35

Good evening

I read this book about a month ago, and I must say I was rather disappointed.
Although it claims to be "a detailed study of the domestic background of life in the Victorian army" it mainly focuses on the first half of the 19th century - Queen VIctoria died in 1901!
It also tends to be rather repetitive.
If, like me, you are interested in the latter part of the 19th century you might want to look elsewhere.
I'd love to know if anyone finds a better source!

Regards
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 02 Aug 2016 11:34

susancammas wrote:Good evening

I read this book about a month ago, and I must say I was rather disappointed.
Although it claims to be "a detailed study of the domestic background of life in the Victorian army" it mainly focuses on the first half of the 19th century - Queen VIctoria died in 1901!
It also tends to be rather repetitive.
If, like me, you are interested in the latter part of the 19th century you might want to look elsewhere.
I'd love to know if anyone finds a better source!

Regards
Susan

I have that book Susan and although I found it very good with regards to the broad association of women with the army and how this changed, I agree that it does not cover as much detail in the late Victorian era as is implied.
As regards looking elsewhere, it is worth examining the bibliography that she lists at the back of her book. One good book that I can recommend is "On the Strength", by Victoria Bamfield. Abe Books are a good source, but there are others.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby susancammas » 17 Aug 2016 18:29

Thanks Frogsmile -I have only recently been back on the forum and seen your kind reply.
I have, in fact, a copy of "On the Strength" but yet again, I can't find the détails I'm looking for!

I'm trying to find out what life was like for wives of "other ranks" (in my case, gunners in RHA) in the latter part of the 19th century in India.
There doesn't seem to be much information specifically about them. Although Veronica Bamfield mentions the ballot system and gives some insight into what life was like for them, she scans a wide period of time and often the differences between officers's wives and other ranks wives is a little blurred.

I'll keep at it and when I have found the answers to my questions, I won't fail to share them on this forum!
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Return to The Army