Everyday life for a Cavalryman

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Everyday life for a Cavalryman

Postby rclpillinger » 21 Jan 2018 14:53

Hello All,

Because so many of the photographs that my Grandfather took during the years from 1885 until 1900 were of ordinary everyday life in the Tenth Hussars whilst they were on home service, I have been wondering if I should write a short article upon this subject.

I have always been quite critical of many museums, not least the Horsepower Museum where I am in others ways a great supporter, that they only depict the once in a decade heroic events and the most photogenic dress uniforms of the period. They never seem to exhibit the day to day, very repetitive life of an ordinary soldier making beds, cleaning kit, grooming horses, and so on.

In order to put my money (or pen) where my mouth is I think I need to research this part of a cavalryman's life and write a new page for my website. I suspect everyday life in York was very much the same repetative affair as everyday life in Lucknow or Rawal Pindi. Can anyone recommend any good books that I should read to get life from the perpective of say and N. C. Officer?

Looking forward to some good reading

Richard
Attachments
Everyday Life.JPG
Everyday Life.JPG (118.92 KiB) Viewed 194 times
rclpillinger

Re: Everyday life for a Cavalryman

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Jan 2018 23:16

From Private to Field Marshal might be a good start point: https://wordery.com/from-private-to-fie ... gJ6LPD_BwE
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Maureene » 22 Jan 2018 07:58

You could look at the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, sections External links and Historical books online, and see whether there is any thing which could help you, although there is may not be specifically much about cavalry.
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#External_links

There is a series of article called Tommy Atkins, containing some information from a series of articles which appeared in Navy and Army Illustrated commencing in June 1898 which gave insight into the life of an ordinary soldier.

Regarding India, there are some short personal accounts about serving in India from the 1930s. I would think these would be probably pretty much the situation as happened 30 years prior.

The Historical books online section includes Smithy Abroad: Barrack-Room Sketches by Edgar Wallace 1909, which I found entertaining. I believe Edgar Wallace, who subsequently became known as the ‘King of Thrillers’, served in the British Army, so perhaps what is portrayed has a factual basis.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Josh&Historyland » 23 Jan 2018 16:12

Sounds like a great idea. A day in the life (so far as is possible) would be interesting and is usually quite effective.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Return to The Army