Understudied Victorian Campaigns

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: Understudied Victorian Campaigns

Postby Will Mathieson » 01 Nov 2014 05:00

In response to Amarpal's new book coming out, when will it and what is the title? I have his previous book and look forward to the next.
My interest has grown since becoming the new owner of the Wilkinson sword that Major David Fitzgerald Longworth wore once becoming a major due to a field promotion for gallantry. He commanded and led the 1st Batn. 31st Regiment of Foot or Huntingdonshire regt. at the Battle of Sobraun in 1846The regiment was successful in taking four enemy colours and 220 cannon. A hard fought two hour battle that ended the Sikhs power.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Primey511 » 02 Nov 2014 21:12

I agree re the Anglo-Burma Wars.

I keep squirrelling away bits & pieces on the Third Burma War as I research the Indian Army so it could prove to be a future project for me.
Primey511

Postby Josh&Historyland » 17 Dec 2014 14:57

I'm not sure if you'd call it a campaign, it seems to be more rememberd as a police action, but the "Eureka" rebellion mustn't get much attention outside of Australia.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 17 Dec 2014 22:06

I have sounded out a few publishers on subjects like the Anglo-Burmese Wars, but most seem rather reluctant to take the risk on publishing such a book.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby trooper » 18 Dec 2014 12:31

Mark wrote:I have sounded out a few publishers on subjects like the Anglo-Burmese Wars, but most seem rather reluctant to take the risk on publishing such a book.

Mark

Most seem reluctant to produce anything apart from endless junk re the Third Reich. If Hitler had had as many Tiger tanks as books and articles that have been written about them we would all be speaking German by now. Trooper
trooper
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 18 Dec 2014 22:34

trooper wrote:
Mark wrote:I have sounded out a few publishers on subjects like the Anglo-Burmese Wars, but most seem rather reluctant to take the risk on publishing such a book.

Mark

Most seem reluctant to produce anything apart from endless junk re the Third Reich. If Hitler had had as many Tiger tanks as books and articles that have been written about them we would all be speaking German by now. Trooper

They say if you want to make money as an author of military history you need to write about Hitler or Napoleon. My first book (out next year) is on Waterloo, although my original book proposal to the publisher was about the North West Frontier Revolt of 1897-8. While that project is not dead, it was Waterloo they wanted me to write about.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat