Wolseley or Roberts Rings?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: Wolseley or Roberts Rings?

Postby Mark A. Reid » 04 Jul 2014 12:36

Hello again Mike;

I was going to make some flippant remark about all your NCO's and Subs carrying Field Marshal batons on their webbing but, after your cogent remarks above, now realise that we share the same attitude towards logistics. My only concern was that the Red River Expedition was being dismissed as another routine event between the Morning Run and Foot Inspection, no one will be confusing it with the Austerlitz campaign.

Back on track, Wolseley or Roberts? Knowing nothing of the sub-continent, except that it has provided the UK with most of its national cuisine, I would have to judge ... anyone BUT Kitchener!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 04 Jul 2014 13:08

Mike,

I am familiar with the sources for information about the Red River Expedition and the Ashantee War that you mentioned. In addition, I have read other, lessor known sources, such as MBI's journal and letters. And, yes, they do need to be sifted to separate fact from fiction! But, on a brighter note, congratulations on working on your PhD! I have fond memories of my studies. The joy of the research, including the search through musty records for nuggets of information, and the excitement of the defence. At bit of an anticlimax as, at the end of the day, you are THE expert on the subject matter notwithstanding what the examiners might think :-) i would be interested in reading your dissertation when it is completed.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 04 Jul 2014 21:41

mike snook wrote:JF, To be fair the Viscountcy was for Egypt. Hadn't heard the elcho tweed thing. Where does that come from?

Ah, to be sure, but did he not get a Knighthood at least? And the viscountcy for the baron after the less than triumphal denouement on the Nile, well, h'mmmm.

The Elcho tweed/bayonet detail is one of those things that I came across in passing when researching something else a couple of years ago and so did not make a note, assuming in my infancy that it was a 'well known fact.' A factoid, we should call it now, I suppose. Let me see if I can trace it.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Previous

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat