What are you currently reading?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Mark » 11 Aug 2013 22:03

My reading has jumped between the Napoleonic period to World War Two and back. I really ought to pick up something Victorian related soon! I have looked at "Churchill's First War: Young Winston and the Fight Against the Taliban" by Con Coughlin several times while browsing books in Waterstones. Has anyone read it and is it worth investing in a copy?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » 12 Aug 2013 00:02

I must admit the title somewhat put me off but giving it the benefit of the doubt, not to judge a book and all, I assume it draws paralles between Churchill and the old wars in Afgan and the modern fight, and not how it literally reads. Does it look good?

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 12 Aug 2013 12:40

I have to admit the title is what made me feel a bit wary of it and prompted my post above. To be fair it does look good (but then most new books do) at first glance but thought I'd throw the question out to members.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby The Scorer » 15 Aug 2013 11:16

Mark wrote:My reading has jumped between the Napoleonic period to World War Two and back. I really ought to pick up something Victorian related soon! I have looked at "Churchill's First War: Young Winston and the Fight Against the Taliban" by Con Coughlin several times while browsing books in Waterstones. Has anyone read it and is it worth investing in a copy? Mark

Josh&Historyland wrote:I must admit the title somewhat put me off but giving it the benefit of the doubt, not to judge a book and all, I assume it draws paralles between Churchill and the old wars in Afgan and the modern fight, and not how it literally reads. Does it look good? Josh.

Yes, I've read it recently, and it's quite good.

It does draw many parallels between the 1895 - 1898 period and the modern period. Sometimes these are quite annoying, as they tended to distract me from the real subject, i.e. the Malakand Field Force. However, it's a good book on Churchill, and gives a lot of detail on what he (and his mother!) got up to in those days.

I'd recommend it as a read, but I wouldn't buy it; I got mine from the library, and that's where it's going back to.

:)
The Scorer

Postby Philip Wilson » 25 Aug 2013 15:03

I am revisiting - ‘From Capetown to Ladysmith - An unfinished record of the South African War‘ by G. W. Steevens edited by Vernon Blackburn published in 1900
Last edited by Philip Wilson on 25 Aug 2013 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Wilson, Museum Trustee, Principal Curator/Archivist, Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum, Warwick
Member OMRS 943
Philip Wilson

Postby Mark » 25 Aug 2013 15:11

The Scorer wrote:
Mark wrote:My reading has jumped between the Napoleonic period to World War Two and back. I really ought to pick up something Victorian related soon! I have looked at "Churchill's First War: Young Winston and the Fight Against the Taliban" by Con Coughlin several times while browsing books in Waterstones. Has anyone read it and is it worth investing in a copy? Mark

Josh&Historyland wrote:I must admit the title somewhat put me off but giving it the benefit of the doubt, not to judge a book and all, I assume it draws paralles between Churchill and the old wars in Afgan and the modern fight, and not how it literally reads. Does it look good? Josh.

It does draw many parallels between the 1895 - 1898 period and the modern period. Sometimes these are quite annoying, as they tended to distract me from the real subject, i.e. the Malakand Field Force. However, it's a good book on Churchill, and gives a lot of detail on what he (and his mother!) got up to in those days.

I'd recommend it as a read, but I wouldn't buy it; I got mine from the library, and that's where it's going back to.

Thanks for your thoughts! I shall perhaps borrow a copy then rather than buy. That said I have many other books on my reading list which I think will come first :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » 29 Aug 2013 14:39

Mark wrote:
The Scorer wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts! I shall perhaps borrow a copy then rather than buy. That said I have many other books on my reading list which I think will come first :)

Mark

Wise words I think This is my thought too.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Rural53 » 01 Sep 2013 11:04

Not so much something to sit down and read but an excellent reference.

This turned up in the mail last week from Amazon. I'm up to the third chapter.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 01 Sep 2013 14:09

I spend a fair bit of time looking at the books in Waterstones here in the UK before choosing one to buy and read. However, I have noticed that while the Napoleonic, First and Second World War sections are usually stocked healthily the Victorian period seems somewhat lacking. Perhaps it is just the stores I visit (and I do get about)?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby mike snook » 01 Sep 2013 15:43

Mark

To paraphrase my publisher, 'If you want to sell lots of books write about Napoleon or the Nazis'. I'm pleased to say that I'm not going to, nor does he expect me to!

As ever

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » 01 Sep 2013 17:22

Mike

Thankfully we still have people like yourself writing about the Victorian period. I find the Napoleonic Wars very interesting while World War Two a little less-so. However, the Victorian period was my 'first-love' historically speaking.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your forthcoming book!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Rural53 » 18 Nov 2013 10:38

Into the Valley of Death by A. L. Berridge - Swordswoman on here and;

The Disappearing Guns Of Auckland - The history and archaeology of the forts of Auckland 1885 - 1925 (A thesis submitted in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Anthropology) by John Mitchell, 1995. This is the reference text for a thread I'm going to start when I have a few hours/days free to sit down and write it.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 08 Jan 2014 22:49

I am currently skimming through 'On Afghanistan's Plains: The Story of Britain's Afghan Wars' by Jules Stewart. A book I have read previously but thought I'd have another look at. Stewart has a number of interesting books on the Afghan wars which are worth a read.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 29 Jan 2014 16:56

As you may have seen from another thread I am currently reading 'Return of a King' by William Dalrymple in an attempt to better understand the First Anglo-Afghan War. I have to say the book seems excellent and although I have some way to go before finishing I can already wholeheartedly recommend it.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby fv1620 » 09 Feb 2014 18:01

Lots of intriguing things in here:

Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.
fv1620

PreviousNext

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat