What are you currently reading?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Liz » 16 Mar 2013 06:40

Rural53 wrote:I'm also reading the Flashman series and am up to Flashman at the Charge. Entertaining but I'm sure not particularly historically accurate.

Not in some respects for obvious reasons but many details are thoroughly researched, see the footnotes in the books and also posts elsewhere on this forum.
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby Rural53 » 16 Mar 2013 10:02

Liz wrote:Not in some respects for obvious reasons but many details are thoroughly researched, see the footnotes in the books and also posts elsewhere on this forum.

I'm finding the footnotes quite enlightening and have found electronic copies of some of the references online for future reading.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 17 Mar 2013 21:25

While in Cambridge this weekend I picked up a copy of Zulu Rising and added it to my large and growing 'to-read' pile! It is a hefty book and certainly appears to go into great details. I look forward to reading it.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » 18 Mar 2013 03:03

The detail is amazing I don't think you'll regret buying it I'm up to iSandlwana now.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby fv1620 » 18 Mar 2013 11:25

Mark wrote:Does anyone here collect military related books? I am thinking more of orginal period books published and printed during Victoria's reign rather than modern publications. Mark

Yes Mark genuine WO type publications of any period. These are the ones I have relative to here:

1859 The Queen’s Regulations & Orders for the Army
1883 Manual of Elementary Field Engineering
1884 Army Medical Department Report. Vol. XXVI
1884 Standing Orders for The Commissariat & Transport Corps
1884 General Orders 147
1885 Manual for the Medical Staff Corps
1894 Manual for the Medical Staff Corps
1899 Manual for the Royal Army Medical Corps
1901 Army Medical Department Report. Vol. XLIII
1858-1907 Chronology of Events Connected with Army Administration

My interests are administrative, regulatory & medical. I have a little article indulging these:

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/EARLY%20BATTLEFIE ... 20v120.pdf

For those not aware of it there is a British manual forum covering all periods:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MilitaryM ... ectorsClub
Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.
fv1620

Postby Mark » 18 Mar 2013 22:32

Some interesting period books there, Clive!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby zerostate » 22 Mar 2013 03:27

Great stuff, and very interesting! Joined the Yahooo group as it will be invaluable to me. Thanks.

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby fv1620 » 22 Mar 2013 11:10

Thank you both. I find manuals are a rather neglected aspect of military history. Finding the Yahoo group was reassuring that I wasn't completely alone!

My Victorian collection is a bit thin. My greatest dilemma was the 1883 manual as it seemed to have never been read. I knew that even opening the pages by a limited amount would damage the spine & greatly devalue it. But it seems inherently perverse to have a book & not read it. None the less I did read it. Fascinating stuff on wire entanglements pre-dating the use of barbed wire by the British Army. Although I think cattle ranchers in the Wild West were using it.
Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.
fv1620

Postby zerostate » 23 Mar 2013 04:19

fv1620 wrote:Thank you both. I find manuals are a rather neglected aspect of military history. Finding the Yahoo group was reassuring that I wasn't completely alone!

My Victorian collection is a bit thin. My greatest dilemma was the 1883 manual as it seemed to have never been read. I knew that even opening the pages by a limited amount would damage the spine & greatly devalue it. But it seems inherently perverse to have a book & not read it. None the less I did read it. Fascinating stuff on wire entanglements pre-dating the use of barbed wire by the British Army. Although I think cattle ranchers in the Wild West were using it.

My 'Infantry Training 1902' has a broken spine and many loose pages. I regret trying to read it as it wasn't in great shape when I bought it, so I know what you mean. I keep meaning to ask an antiquarian bookseller that I know if he can repair it.

I have to admit that it's the admin that appeals to me too... Oh, and of course the every day nitty gritty.

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby Mark A. Reid » 23 Mar 2013 14:33

Hello Chris ( fv1620 )

I just finished reading your article on " Battlefield Care, etc. " and thought it was terrific. I have always had a raher vague understanding of the Victorian Army's medical services but your account provided a splendid overview with succint details that put it all into perspective. You have an easy-reading style that invites the reader to keep on going and I would recommend it to other Members. I look forward to reading more.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby fv1620 » 23 Mar 2013 16:10

Mark you are very kind. Well if you want more there are some below!

The topics of these articles are Animals, Horses, Wagons & Water. Although only the earlier pages are directly relevant to the Victorian era, much of it holds good for a wide era of military history. So I hope there will some tit-bits of info may be of interest to forum readers.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/BRITISHARMYANIMALS.PDF

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/HORSE_TRANSPORT.pdf

http://hmvf.co.uk/pdf/WAGONS.pdf

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/ARMYWATERSUPPLY.pdf
Clive Elliott

fv1620

Postby mike snook » 28 Mar 2013 01:45

Dear All,

Here's a goodie. Didn't know it existed until I stumbled across it in the second hand bookshop in Marlborough the other day. The title is Rifles and Kukris, the subject is the Siege of Delhi, the publication date is 2007, it is a production of the RGJ Museum Trust and the author Is Lt Gen Sir Christopher Wallace.The particular focus is the defence of Hindu Rao's House on the Ridge by the Sirmoor Gurkha battalion under the gallant Major Reid, the 60th Rifles and the Guides. Really well researched and written and you wouldn't know it was a local production by a regimental museum. If you are interested in the Mutiny you really ought to have this one in your collection. Haven't checked the Rifles Museum website to see if you can still get it, because I have one already!!

Regards

Mike
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby zerostate » 29 Jul 2013 03:07

Right now, flicking through Clothing Regulations 1894, which I found on Saturday... Then onto Commando, by Reitz - which I'd forgotten I had until a recent thread!

Chris

zerostate

Postby sjwalker51 » 02 Aug 2013 17:46

By coincidence I'm reading 'Rifles and Kukris' as well, together with one of the 'Sheridan' novels by VA Stuart, also set in the Indian Mutiny - don't know how I overlooked this excellent series for the last 40-odd years
sjwalker51

Postby Josh&Historyland » 11 Aug 2013 19:52

I'm reading Raffles and the golden opportunity by Victoria Glendinning.

Josh
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat