What are you currently reading?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Mark » 19 Mar 2012 19:02

Sounds an interesting set of books - great for primary research! Although not a book collector myself I do find old books strangely interesting. I have several original official regimental histories published in the 1920s relating to the First World War but nothing from the Victorian period. One must resist the temptation :oops:

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 19 Mar 2012 19:39

Does anyone here collect military related books? I am thinking more of orginal period books published and printed during Victoria's reign rather than modern publications.

I have a small collection of "boy's own" stories relating to the Zulu and 2nd Anglo-Boer War. I've not read most of them as they are pretty turgid. But the artwork is excellent and they are very much of the period. Without TV or colour magazines these books fed the imagination of a generation of small boys some of whom volunteered to serve.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby L. Braden » 20 Mar 2012 20:28

trooper wrote:
Mark wrote:
trooper wrote:The Pocket Hercules. Biography of Captain Morris, 17th Lancers. Very good read. Trooper

Sounds interesting! I have a soft spot for the 17th Lancers too! What campaign(s) did Captain Morris take part in?

Mark

Gwalior and First Sikh War with the 16th Lancers, then, after transferring to the 17th, the Crimea and the Mutiny. Interesting notes about previously unknown members of the charge. Trooper

Morris saw no active service in the Mutiny War. As Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General of H.M. Forces in the Bombay Presidency since April of 1858, he died of dysentery at Poona on 11 July 1858. Previously, until Sept. of '57, he was D.A.A.G. in Ireland.
L. Braden

Postby geoffri » 20 Mar 2012 20:59

Trooper/ Mark

In the book The First and Second Sikh Wars by Reginald George Burton, Lt Morris is noted as being wounded at Aliwal 28th January 1846 while with the 16th Lancers.

The First and Second Sikh Wars is a publication rich in detail and analysis and a treasure trove of background information about the British Army in India. History taken from official records of the period.

Geoff
Medals to Thoms Smyth (Smith) 14th Light Dragoons
South Africa Medal 1854 D.Alcock 1st Bn Rifle Brigade
geoffri

Postby Maureene » 24 Mar 2012 14:00

(Most of) The First and Second Sikh Wars mentioned above may be read on the Digital Library Of India website.
Contents, computer pages 6-8. Unfortunately the book is not complete. Missing text pages 129-130 and all the appendices, pages 131-148.

Details of this website, and the plug in required may be found in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Online books, section Digital Library of India
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=O ... y_of_India

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby acanthus » 24 Mar 2012 20:47

From Kashmir to Kabul - Photgraphy 1860 - 1900 - Omar Khan
Deals with the photographic work of William Baker & John Burke who have left us with a magnificent collection of images (those that have survived) of the NWF and Afghanistan etc.
History of the Guides 1846 - 1922 For me, this book is simply wonderful; a great insight into one of the most famous names in the EIC and Indian army.
acanthus

Postby Jonathan » 26 Mar 2012 14:43

I just started reading A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton by Mary S. Lovell. It is a huge book with small print. It may be beyond my attention span, but I'm giving it a go. :D
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Will Mathieson » 26 Mar 2012 16:56

acanthus wrote:From Kashmir to Kabul - Photgraphy 1860 - 1900 - Omar Khan
Deals with the photographic work of William Baker & John Burke who have left us with a magnificent collection of images (those that have survived) of the NWF and Afghanistan etc.
History of the Guides 1846 - 1922 For me, this book is simply wonderful; a great insight into one of the most famous names in the EIC and Indian army.

FYI I've ordered the book "From Kashmir to Kabul" and found that the books web page sells it for substantially less than other book sites. It was just under $30 including shipping.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby GarethG » 27 Mar 2012 00:41

Hello, this is my first post!

I'm currently reading Kitchener The Road to Omdurman by John Pollock.

Also started Thomas Pakenham's The Boer War.

Mark: Holmes' Redcoat is a good read, you could also try Sahib, if you haven't already.

Gareth
GarethG

Postby Mark » 16 Apr 2012 18:47

I am currently 70 pages into 'Crimea' by Orlando Figes. Many times I have picked up this book in Waterstones yet did not buy it as I was sharpening my knowledge on the Napoleonic Wars. However, while on a trip to Leeds I decided to finally buy it and so far I am not regretting it. It appears to be a very well written book and has certainly added to my knowledge so far of the build up to the Crimean War. I still have a long way to go so early days.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 19 May 2012 01:48

Finally coming to an end of Crimea by Orlando Figes! I have not been able to read as much as I normally do so it has taken me a while. However, I whole-heartedly recommend Fige's book if you have an interest in the Crimea! Definitely a 4 out of 5 star book in my humble opinion.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby saw119 » 20 May 2012 20:26

Just picked up a copy of the Colonial Wars Source Book for £3 at the Sheffield Wargamers Fair. I was very pleased as just before had seen a copy priced up at £12. Looks good.
saw119

Postby Mark » 20 May 2012 20:40

saw119 wrote:Just picked up a copy of the Colonial Wars Source Book for £3 at the Sheffield Wargamers Fair. I was very pleased as just before had seen a copy priced up at £12. Looks good.

Sounds like a bargain for such a weighty book! :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Special Artist » 21 May 2012 20:55

Mark,
I was reading "Crimea" a year or so ago, but got a little bogged down on the background to war, which is very in-depth and lengthy, though splendidly written. I have now had far too long a break from it, and am currently finishing A Lost Legionary in Africa by Hamilton Browne, and you have convinced me to get back to Crimea and finish it this time round. I have high hopes for it - I certainly couldn't knock the first part, but am looking forward to the shooting bit.
Special Artist

Postby Mark » 21 May 2012 23:01

Special Artist wrote:Mark,
I was reading "Crimea" a year or so ago, but got a little bogged down on the background to war, which is very in-depth and lengthy, though splendidly written. I have now had far too long a break from it, and am currently finishing A Lost Legionary in Africa by Hamilton Browne, and you have convinced me to get back to Crimea and finish it this time round. I have high hopes for it - I certainly couldn't knock the first part, but am looking forward to the shooting bit.

Yes Figes does get heavy into the causes of the war before a shot is fired. Still that's very important to fully understand the war itself. He does spend quite some time on the battles and the siege of Sebastopol so you won't be disappointed.

I also have Hell Riders by Terry Brighton lined up. I am told it is a great read!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat