What are you currently reading?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby Stuart_Bates » 01 May 2015 05:43

I also have Fire and Sword in the Sudan which I bought for about A$40 many, many years ago. But am currently ploughing through the Clothing Regulations 1929 and the Headdress Committee notes of 1896/7.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby Jonathan » 19 May 2015 02:38

I just started reading All the Pasha's Men: Mehmed Ali, his Army and the Making of Modern Egypt by Khaled Fahmy. So far it is quite good and it is all new to me since I have never studied this aspect of Egyptian history. Books on this subject are not exactly thick on the ground (there are some, though, which is better than none!).
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » 19 May 2015 09:16

I am currently reading 'An Unlikely Hero: George Scott Robertson' by Dorothy Anderson.

The content of the book is very good, but the editing is not as good as I would expect from a professionally published title. For example Umra Khan (the so-called Napoleon of the Pathans) flicks between Umra and Umar throughout the second half of the book, which is a tad annoying. However, if you get past such errors the book is still very much worth reading.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 07 Jun 2015 21:31

I am now reading 'The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia' by Peter Hopkirk. Having read about a third of the book, I have to say I am finding it an excellent and fascinating read.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Les Waring » 08 Jun 2015 01:24

Mark

Totally agree with you.
I've had this book for several years and keep returning to it both for research and enjoyment.

I still 'regret' that the British didn't take up the challenge of an 'Anglo-Mongolian' War in the 1860s. Absolutely no possible pretext and every chance of making Afghanistan 1842 look like a picnic. Still, that would really have been the 'Greatest Game'.

Best

Les Waring
Les Waring

Postby Mark » 08 Jun 2015 14:42

Thanks, Les. Out of interest, have you also read 'Trespassers on the Roof of the World: The Race for Lhasa' by the same author? I have it lined-up for a future read, Tibet being something I know too little about.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 13 Nov 2015 10:25

I have recently been reading 'The Mahdi of Sudan and the Death of General Gordon' by Fergus Nicoll. For anyone interested in the wars in the Sudan I would strongly recommend this title.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Redleg56 » 14 Nov 2015 21:28

Good Afternoon All:

Finished "Mutiny and Insurgency in India, 1857-1858, The British Army in a Bloody Civil War"
by T.A Heathcote a few weeks ago. Getting some fiction in right now with "Dando and the Summer Palace by William Clive.
I placed a mail order for "On Afghanistan's Plains" on Tuesday so hopefully I will be reading it by early next week.

Bit of information for those outside the US: A book was published over here in 2011 titled "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the British Empire". The author is H.W Crocker III. The US publisher is Regnery Publishing Inc. www.regnery.com. Interesting reading! The author illustrates how numerous countries under the Empire and administered by Britain benefited from British rule. Book includes chapters on Burton, Kitchener and Gordon as well as the countries themselves.

Mike
Redleg56

Postby Mark » 19 Nov 2015 14:14

Thanks for the info on Crocker's book, Mike! It is one I have never heard of but wouldn't mind reading. Will take a look.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Redleg56 » 21 Nov 2015 19:59

You are welcome Mark!
Redleg56

Postby rclpillinger » 21 Nov 2015 22:22

I have recently finished reading Cavalry and Sporting Memoirs, an autobiography by Major General John Vaughan.

It made an interesting read, but it was clear why he became a soldier and not an author. Once you get over the writing style the book gives the reader the impression that horse-borne sport was probably a more important part of soldiering to most officers than the rude interruptions of conflict. Admittedly the book is based upon his polo prowess and pig-sticking, but it does recount his soldiering achievements with the Seventh and the Tenth sometimes somewhat fleetingly.

That is up until the Great War when his army career dominates, as one would expect, from that point. It goes on into the inter-war period and very briefly mentions the Second Word War.

It makes an interesting read but perhaps might have been better titled Sporting and Cavalry Memoirs.

Richard
rclpillinger

Postby fv1620 » 23 Nov 2015 20:16

Quite a bit of reading ahead!

Now have all of them from 1894 to 1984 (other than 1981)

I don't know how much earlier they go, can anyone say please?

Clive Elliott

Wanted British Army publications of any period eg AC, ACI, AESP, AO, COSA, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.
fv1620

Postby Mark » 21 Dec 2015 21:01

I have been delving into Armies of God: Islam and Empire on the Nile, 1869-1899 by Dominic Green. So far it has been quite an enjoyable and interesting read.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Owen » 21 Dec 2015 21:53

Starting to read 'Dragon Rampant: The Royal Welch Fusiliers at War', by Donald E. Graves. Recently bought a George III gold enamelled mourning ring (hallmarked 1815) inscribed to "Captn C. Jolliffe, of 23rd RWF, killed at Waterloo, aged 32" and the book is part of the research. The book relates the history of the 23rd through the Napoleonic Wars and including Waterloo.

Looking forward to it!

Owen

Edited to add:

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see (Sir Winston Churchill)
Owen

Postby petergoose » 23 Dec 2015 13:16

I just finished German artillery in world war one by H.Jager,I'm reading right now The siege of Kut-al-amarna by N.Gardner and Sedgemoor 1685 by J.Tincey.

I rummaged in my dads closet(I'm 36) :mrgreen: and found the Schiffer publications book on german pioneer flamethrower units of ww1 which is a fairly big book,also a book on the russo-japanese war of 1939 and a book on the japa-china fighting of 1937. My sister got me a book on ancient Sumerian armies and I talked my on/off girlfriend into buying me a book on the uniforms of the German states in the 1860's :D and some anime dvds and manga books.

Fun holidays for me yippeeee

Oh,good holiday and a good 2016 to all you folk here
petergoose

PreviousNext

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat