Photos of Victorian Soldiers / Sailors wearing medals

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Photos of Victorian Soldiers / Sailors wearing medals

Postby Mark » 30 Apr 2010 20:38

Hi All

I thought I would start a thread where members could post any photographs they may have of Victorian period soldiers or sailors wearing their medals. As a Victorian medal collector myself I have always been fascinated by photos of men actually wearing the medals they received. In particular I'd like to see photos where some details of the actual recipients are known.

To kick this off here is a photo of a group of soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment. All were veterans of the Battle of Kirbekan which was fought on the 10th February 1885. Except for the seated officer they all appear to be wearing the Egypt Medal (with "The Nile 1884-85" and "Kirbekan" clasps) and the Khedive's Star. Both medals were awarded for the campaign of 1884-85.

kirbekan_veterans.jpg
kirbekan_veterans.jpg (106.3 KiB) Viewed 5146 times

Pictured in the photo are:

Front Row (seated left to right): Serjeant Brew, Serjeant-Major Birch, Captain Glover and Master-Tailor-Serjeant Sim.

Second Row (standing left to right): Private Smith, Serjeant Poole, Private Billings, Serjeant James and Corporal Harris.

For those unfamiliar with both the above mentioned medals I have included a close-up image below. These were awarded to 2035 Private Daniel Duxbury, 1st Battalion who came from Burnley in Lancashire. Please see my showcase for more details.

egypt_group.jpg
egypt_group.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 5146 times

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Photos of Victorian Soldiers / Sailors wearing medals

Postby Brett Payne » 17 May 2010 23:13

Here is a photograph from my carte de visite collection. The subjects are General Sir William and Lady Fitzmayer, and I researched his life and military service for an article on my photo-historical blog Photo-Sleuth, here. I have included more detailed images of the medals in the article, as well as my interpretations of what they are.

If any forum members can add to the history or the medal IDs, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand
Brett Payne

Postby Unknownsoldier » 18 May 2010 20:47

Brett Payne wrote:Image

Here is a photograph from my carte de visite collection. The subjects are General Sir William and Lady Fitzmayer, and I researched his life and military service for an article on my photo-historical blog Photo-Sleuth, here. I have included more detailed images of the medals in the article, as well as my interpretations of what they are.

If any forum members can add to the history or the medal IDs, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Brett Payne
Tauranga, New Zealand

Brett, Great Article, but I don't thinkyou have the crimea medal in the right place, if you look above it in the photo, it is there, you can see the unusual bars, the whole medal is obscured by the lanyard, where you have placed the British Crimea, I think you will find is in fact the Turkish Crimea.

ATB<
Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Brett Payne » 23 May 2010 22:52

Thank you, Tom, for these corrections, which I appreciate as my knowledge of medals is pretty limited. I will amend my article and the photos accordingly, with credit, of course.

Regards and best wishes, Brett
Brett Payne

Postby Unknownsoldier » 25 May 2010 10:05

Hi,

No worries, I'm glad to help. It's logical with the medijie order, to have the Turkhish crimea too, at this point no specific order of wear was laid down and wearing medals was a haphazard affair at the best of times, others it was like throwing darts at a board and hoping they go where you want them to :D Even the issue type of the medla was not really ratified, the Sardinian issue, English issue and French issue, the majority of the British/English issue was lost when a ship was sunk, and as such the majority of groups you will find have either Sadinian or French issues types of the medal (Sardinian, is the most common issue to be found). The other give away is the suspender, the Turkish Crimea has only a simple ring suspension whereas the British Crimea, has an ornate "scrolled" suspender (floriated is I believe the correct term) and leaf shaped bars, the scroll of the suspender can be seen on the right hand middle medal in your photo, whereas you bottom medal has only the outline of a single simple ring style suspension.

This and the flouncy uniforms do rather hold up medal identification :D

I'm glad to have helped, and that article really is very interesting :D

ATB,
Tom
BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY OF A BRITISH WARRIOR UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND. THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD HIS HOUSE.
Unknownsoldier
Participating Member

Postby Larmo » 22 Mar 2015 00:54

Here is a CDV image of Major Walker Aitken, or so at least identified as such by the inked inscription on the base of the image. Purchased this several years ago on Ebay.Fr, which I believe accounts for the "Le" before his rank. Elliott & Fry photographers, London. The dark spot on his baldric is a blob of ink, the reverse of the CDV is also a bit messy with a larger smear of ink. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, a very new guy to collecting British Medals (concentrating on the Egypt-Sudan Campaigns at present), but I'm a keen fan of old photography, is he wearing the Ashantee Medal 1873-74? Didn't do a close-up of the medal but will if it would be a help. I've read where he also served in Egypt at Tel El Kebir and and was killed at the Battle of Tamaai. I really enjoy these photos of Scots.

I have a number of old photos of soldiers wearing medals, including French soldiers wearing Crimean Campaign awards, if you gentlemen care to view them, would they be proper here?

Larry
Larmo

Postby Larmo » 22 Oct 2016 23:26

Greetings all, thought you might enjoy this colorized daguerreotype of a French Crimean War NCO. He sits proudly for the photographic artist, and his hard-won Medaille Militaire, and Crimea Medal with clasp can be seen clearly on his tunic.

color copy.jpg
color copy.jpg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Attachments
color1.jpg
color1.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Larmo

Postby Larmo » 22 Oct 2016 23:38

And another, VC winner (39), Anthony Palmer. This time a Carte de Visite image, with colorized details.

Crimea VC Winner.jpg
Crimea VC Winner.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Attachments
Crimea VC Winner Medals.jpg
Crimea VC Winner Medals.jpg (138.92 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Larmo

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat