Shimonoseki-postscript

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Shimonoseki-postscript

Postby jf42 » 30 May 2016 11:05

In connection with another topic in another place, my attention was drawn to this.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... s/597.html

It's a year or two too late, but were you aware of this, Josh?

The postscript to the postscript is rather sad.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: Shimonoseki-postscript

Postby Josh&Historyland » 01 Jun 2016 22:52

Thanks JF.

I knew the NMM had the flag but wasn't aware it was digitalised, amazing to see the shot marks. I was aware of Midshipman Boyes' story and his tragic end. 3 VC's were awarded for Shimonoseki. One by an American (first ever awarded) the other to the Colour Sergeant who was wounded next to Boyes. All were from Euryalus Navy Brigade detachment.

I would like to have a gander at some point at their collection. They list an account or two of the battle itself which would be interesting to see.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Rural53 » 11 Jun 2016 11:50

Boyes was originally buried in the Southern Cemetery, Dunedin, with a stone at his head and feet. In 1954 the Dunedin RSA, as a consequence of his VC, reburied him in the Andersons Bay Cemetery in the servicemen’s section and placed the standard bronze plaque in his memory.

His grave is in the serviceman's section enclosed by the low wall in the distance, centre of the photo.
Rural53
Participating Member

Postby jf42 » 17 Jun 2016 11:23

Not a bad spot.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat